2. Educators are role models who act ethically and honestly.

As an educator, I recognize that my influence on students extends beyond how I teach the content of the curriculum. I have the privilege of being in a very significant position in my students’ lives and ultimately act as a role model for them in all of my interactions with students, staff, parents and community members. This means that I must be aware of the messages that I am conveying not only in words, but in my actions and the choices that I make.

My SAs and I introduced ourselves to the students with a power point presentation. In my introduction to the class, I provided a very brief summary of my life and I highlighted the information that might be of interest to them (e.g. my pets, schools, etc.). Knowing that I would be viewed as a role model, I also wanted the students to see that I am an active person who lives a healthy lifestyle and has a lifelong interest in learning.

Introduction to Ms. Rodgers

Throughout my practicum I tried to keep foremost in my mind how powerful modeling can be as a learning tool. I feel that this is particularly true when trying to establish a positive, supportive and inclusive learning environment. I believe that a teacher’s voice, language, responses to students and use of humour sets the tone in the classroom.

I found that modeling was particularly important with one special needs student with multiple diagnoses (Autistic, Tourette Syndrome & Anxiety Disorder). I will call this student Jake. Jake’s behaviours (such as inappropriate verbal outbursts, overt negative reactions to concepts or situations, and poor interpersonal skills) could be very disruptive during teaching and student activities. Initially, I could see that many of the students were apprehensive and tended to avoid him. I had many discussions with my SAs about Jake and we agreed about how to deal with these issues. Most of Jake’s behaviours were not intentional so I did not draw attention to them or reprimand him. Instead, I consciously reinforced Jake’s positive interactions with praise and encouragement. I also tried to identify his personal strengths so that others could recognize and appreciate them. As the weeks progressed, I could see that the students became more accepting and inclusive with regards to Jake.

I feel that I was able to establish a positive learning environment through modeling. This was supported by comments made in my Final Report-Extended Practicum completed by my Faculty Advisor, Debbie Jeroff, “Chelsey is creative, nurturing and well organized. She was comfortable in her role as the teacher and used her kind, relaxed manner to create a positive, respectful learning environment.”