Re: McDonalds McCafe

In response to Christy Tang’s blog post regarding McDonalds McCafe, I completely agree with her viewpoint that the quality and taste of McDonalds coffee is subpar relative to other brands, yet, I don’t believe it was ever McDonalds’ intention to create a premium blend coffee that will out-rival the eminence of competition such as Starbucks Coffee Company in the coffee industry.

Coffee’s line-up of McCafe products essentially increases the product mix breadth of the brand. As a study states that “54% of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee everyday,” obviously gaining market share in the coffee industry is a substantial market opportunity. However, I believe the decision to establish the company’s own coffee line was primarily stimulated by the goal of increasing sales of McDonalds’ more traditional items. What establishing a coffee-line essentially does is diversify McDonalds’ offering, in attracting a larger, broader target market, as well as increase the value of its offerings to consumers. By offering a variety of coffees that rival competitors in selection, McDonald’s has become a single hub that satisfies all consumer cravings of a fast-meal as well as caffeine, increasing convenience for a time-sensitive population, and in effect, increasing the value of its offering. From my own experience, prior to the introduction and revamp of the McCafe line-up, I know that when I was under time-constraints in the morning, I would stop at Starbucks for a coffee and rush to wherever I was headed with an empty stomach. With the introduction of the McCafe line, I am now able to pick-up food and caffeine in the same amount of time. Essentially, a coffee-line has translated to an increase in sales of the company’s food items, which would otherwise be forgone. While coffee-supremacy in terms of quality can be a contentious topic, it can be agreed upon that offering coffee in its stores definitely increases the convenience to consumers.