Control your time better.

time_machine_by_sparco2-d5d5jwciWatch-concept-martin_hajek-660x330

Apple is once again going to take the world by storm, once they release their greatly anticipated iWatches in 2015. I am a huge fan of apple products, and have been waiting for the new innovation; apple has under their sleeves. Two years since the release of the iPad, apple has proved they have not lost their innovative touch by creating the iWatch. However, will the iWatch prove to carry the same value proposition as the previous products released by Apple? Will they be able to convince the consumer that the iWatch is what they want? Will they succeed in this new niche they are entering? After reading the article, “Apples will not go on sale until 2015,” published on 29/08/2014 by Mark Prigg; led me to ask these questions. [1]

New technologies these days are meant to make our lives easier, this can be observed by the increase in portability from using computers the size of classrooms, to having smartphones and now moving towards smart watches. I cannot help but notice the trend from the technologies above that we could only use when in a room, to technologies that we could carry around and now technologies that we wear like the smart watch. The iWatch will become a part of our lives! With the quote from Steve jobs that “the greatest resource we have is time,” makes you believe that they have made this quote a reality by introducing the iWatch.

What makes this watch so different from the orthodox watches with the two hands moving monotonously? With humans becoming more sophisticated, we communicate more frequently, becoming more health conscious, creating smart home gadgets, making more electronic transfers than using hard cash. Why not buy the iWatch that can assist in performing all the functions above for less than $1000. Rather than pay over a $100000 for a “luxury Swiss watch” [1], which can only tell you the time but cannot help you use it more effectively. I agree with Jean-Claude Beaver that apple should be taken seriously by the Swiss watch industry, for the reasons stated above. I believe they’ll be very successful in this new niche and offer a large point of difference from other products in this market. Although Apple is not the first to enter this new niche as Samsung and Sony have already launched their smart watches. The greatest point of difference between the iWatch and the existing smart watches is the fact that it would have a much longer battery life.[2] Which means it would be more difficult to abandon and is more reliable making it a better option.

In conclusion, I have never had the urge of wearing a watch because I have my phone, which can tell me the time like any other ordinary watches would do. But after reading about the iWatch; I am considering buying one as I am convinced it’s a must have gadget and will facilitate my life by making me utilize my time better. I believe the iWatch would be as successful as the other apple products as it has greater points of differences than its competitors which increase the consumers utility with the product and creates a competitive advantage because of differentiation.

Bibliography

[1]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2737931/Its-not-time-iWatch-Apples-wearable-not-sale-2015-WILL-revealed-September-9th.html
Website Title: Mail Online
Article Title: It’s still not time for the iWatch: Apple’s wearable[…]
Publisher: Associated Newspapers
Electronically Published: August 29, 2014
Date Accessed: October 26, 2014
Author: Mark Prigg

[2]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2603763/comparing-smartwatches-what-apple-has-to-beat.html
Website Title: PCWorld
Article Title: Comparing smartwatches: What Apple’s rumored iWatch has […]
Date Accessed: October 26, 2014
Author: Martyn Williams
Electronically published: September 7, 2014