Reflection Blog on Unit 2

In Unit 2 of Technical Writing 301, our task involved creating a profile through LinkedIn and building our own social network on the platform. In addition, we prepared a proposal and outline for our final report. Through these studies, I realized that setting the right goals, finding the right audience, and organizing cordial time management is crucial for all types of tasks in the workplace. Building good social networks with others helps us achieve our goals while deepening and broadening our knowledge boundaries.

Even though I already had and set up my own LinkedIn account, I still gained a lot from the first part of the LinkedIn exercise. On the one hand, I realized the many resources and opportunities that LinkedIn offers to Job Seekers, and on the other hand, it provides a way for users to learn relevant expertise. It is not only a platform for displaying personal information as I once thought, but it is also able to push various kinds of information according to keywords, thus establishing a connection between job seekers and relevant companies. The basic profile page for both parties also provides an easy and quick way for both parties to review the basic profile. In addition, LinkedIn can also enhance our knowledge base by pushing us various expertise based on the core terms of career and interest. And it provides us with the opportunity to interact with relevant professionals. As a result, I realized some of the deficiencies in my current LinkedIn account page and made some corrections to them. I will continue to follow LinkedIn news and update my profile to try to connect with more professionals.

I found the task of creating a report proposal in Unit 2 to be more challenging than in Unit 1, as it was not clear to me at the beginning what kind of formal report would be appropriate for the topic I had chosen. I needed to brainstorm for a short period of time what parts I would need to cover in the final, complete report. I found the instructor’s section on questionnaire design to be very instructive. This way of writing the questionnaire can significantly reduce the psychological burden of the questionnaire on the respondents and thus increase the response rate.

Secondly, what I need to do is not to criticize the authors, but to give some advice on writing techniques for their works. But it was difficult for me to write feedback to my peers in a simple, direct and professional tone, and this assignment was a good exercise for me. At the same time, the feedback from my peers on my report proposal was very innovative. The multi-faceted analysis of my project proposal helped me to understand the strengths and weaknesses of my work so that I could make more targeted improvements to it. In particular, they pointed out the lack of detail in my research methods and the lack of clear references. Inadequate preparation in the early stage of thinking may cause difficulties in data collection in the later stage, which directly makes the plan impossible to implement. I think it is important to learn and practice how to express all the information in simple language in a complete and clear way in this course.

At the end, identify exactly what I need to do at what point in time to complete the report and organize it into a timeline. This breaks down my work into manageable steps, which can greatly ease my anxiety about completing the report at the end of the semester.

Appendix 1: Revised Report Proposal Formal Report Proposal:https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2021wa/2021/10/15/85813/

Appendix 2: Report Outline:https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2021wa/2021/10/29/23-assignment%ef%bc%9aformal-report-outline-for-guixi-park/