RIM Needs Blackberry 10 to be a Hit

In Dabir Rashid’s Blog Post, Is Research in Motion (RIM) Back in Motion?, Dabir talks about how he does not believe RIM is in trouble of bankruptcy right now.  He believes that with the release of Blackberry 10 in 2013 either, RIM will begin to regain its reputation of being among the top mobile technology firms, or another technology firm will buy it out.  Dabir also believes that the company is “too big to fail.”

I agree with Dabir in the sense that the Blackberry 10 is RIM’s last big chance to regain its reputation.  They have fallen far behind their competitors and if they want to work their way back up in this industry they need to be able to develop top of the line products on a regular basis, starting with the Blackberry 10.  However, in contrast to what Dabir said, I do not believe that the company will be bought out nor that they are simply so big that they are not able to go bankrupt.

When I think of companies that are “too big to fail,” I of companies like General Motors.  The only reason this company was bailed out was because the losses to the US economy would have been greater if they had gone bankrupt.  When I look into RIM I simply do not see this.  I do not believe that the company is big enough to cause another technology giant to buy them out because of a loss of research, and I especially do not see the government intervening either.