The UbD Process

I have just completed going through Jay McTighe’s (2004) Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook to develop my online introductory module for Assignment 2. I took my time investigating and considering each one of the steps, even though he advises against approaching the model prescriptively. I figured that for the first time around I would benefit from a direct application of his methods.

The process really forced me to consider whether or not I could connect each stage to my original goals. UbD tightens-up the design of a course or module and forces you to focus on harmonizing understandings and performance with a learning plan. My intention is to use this introduction in my Geography 12 course in September, so I wanted to be sure to include certain goals resulting from my previous attempts at a blended model. At the same time I want to have students experience success with geographic tools in a collaborative exercise as early as possible in the course. The introduction seems like the most logical and practical place to do so. I had to be careful not to let my desire to include GIS pre-empt design-based decision. I was glad to discover that it was a good fit.

In the past two experimental units with blended Geography 12, students biggest issues revolved around their resistance to new technology, working in teams, and the ill-structured and student-centered nature of Problem-Based Learning. In previous MET courses, I have written papers on technology acceptance and student resistance to Constructivist approaches to learning. The literature emphasized being proactive and addressing the issues at the beginning of an online course. At the same time, I know that the introduction of the course is a critical time to present geographical thinking and how it differs from other types of inquiry.

After a longer period that I can really afford in terms of my time, I have determined the three goals of my introductory unit, complete with understanding, essential questions, assessment evidence and learning plans:

1: Demonstrate how geographic thinking empowers people to address local, regional and global challenges concerning Earth’s natural environments and its diverse cultures.

2: Participate and consider different modes of learning

3: Develop 21st Century Workplace team-based skills

It took a considerable amount of time for me to familiarize myself with the components of geographic thinking. It’s been a year since I taught Geography 12 and I am long overdue to re-invest myself in the big-picture purposes that characterizes the discipline. It’s so easy to get lost in the content, particularly the old and tired geomorphology of the BC curriculum. Many thanks to the Canadian Geographic Society, the National Geographic Society and ESRI for their excellent online documentation and plethora of engaging media and tools.