The Old Spice Guy

Last year Old Spice release a commercial featuring Isiah Mustafa. It was aired on television and on Old Spice’s YouTube channel. The video is the most viewed advertisement on you tube with over 37 million views. Adweek reported that the success of the advertisement resulted in a  107% jump in sales. The commercial’s concept and theme was carried over into the next two Old Spice advertisement releases. However, after the last one was released it was quite apparent that the idea of the “Old Spice Guy” was getting old. I was impressed to see that Old Spice actually changed the structure of the its following commercials. I thought they may try and use the idea till it was bone dry. This is an example of constant innovation.

With the success they have had imitators. Dairy Queen ripped off the idea completely with advertisements featuring “The Dairy Queen Guy“, a person who follows the exact same traits of Isiah Mustafa. I feel Dairy Queen receives too much praise for its new line of commercials which are just mirror copies of Old Spice’s adverts.

Regardless of copycats, Old Spice has immortalized itself as one of the premier advertising companies of the 21st century.