Does a ‘Social Smoker’ Count as a Smoker?

Does a ‘Social Smoker’ Count as a Smoker? The Ontario Ministry of Health sure thinks so, and they have voiced their opinion through a campaign to quit the denial of ‘social smokers’.

Take a look at the following video:

The campaign, which also includes a clip on Social Farting, makes a mockery out of the thousands who deny being smokers, and classify themselves as social smokers. Whether or not it has had a serious effect on the smoking community is unsure, but it has, at the very least, entertainingly gained some buzz around the country.

Personally, I think that the whole ‘Quit the Denial’ campaign has done a great job of taking a different approach to ordinary smoking commercials. Other ‘quit smoking’ ads have always ended up making me feel a little depressed somehow, but I must say that this one may have even gotten a bit of a laugh out of me. In fact, I have shown some friends who claim to be Social Smokers, and even they have consciously admitted to the ridicule of the denial.

While some people humorously accept the campaign, other smokers have not been so open, claiming in several blogs that they do not tolerate people preaching to them about how they should, and should not smoke.

Whatever side you’re on though, after watching it, you can not help but feel a little idiotic the next time you deny being a smoker. And most importantly, do not be surprised if there is a feint farty smell lingering around the next social smoke you DO have.