Plant Growth

Posted by in Practicum, Science

We started our plant unit near the beginning of May.  My students had already explored life cycles and living things; therefore this was going to be an easier unit.  On our second day of the unit we planted scarlet runner beans.  My SA had bought soil and had pots for the students to use.  We took about half an hour to set up our plants.  The students received dirt, then got their seed, added more dirt, and finally received some water.  We placed them on our windowsill and waited.  I checked regularly, but was worried that over the Easter long weekend (when there would be no one to water them) that the plants might suffer.  But when we came back on the Tuesday some had sprouted!  The students were extremely diligent about watering their plants, asking me every morning if we could.  Before long the plants had grown immensely and some were even sprouting leaves.  It was time to send them home.  Out of 23 students only 3 didn’t sprout.  I believe this was because the students were a little to generous with the water.  I gave them another seed to plant, if they wished.  Overall it was a fantastic hands on activity that allowed the students to see the growth of the plants from seed to leaf.