Autobiography

My journey to becoming an educator began when I was very young.  Every year my mother would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and every year I answered teacher.  She recorded my answers in a book that contains all my school photos, class photos, report cards, and memorable pieces of work.

Diptic 2 Diptic

This passion did not subside during my schooling, but rather grew with each committed and passionate teacher.  I always enjoyed learning and looked forward to returning to school each September.  This passion for learning made me think about wanting to return to school as a teacher.  The courses I chose during high school were chosen with extreme thought because I knew what courses I needed to eventually get into a teacher education program.  When I got accepted to UBC I could have taken either a science or arts-based path.  I chose to travel down an arts-based path because I could focus on the development of children – looking at typical and atypical development.  I believed this was the best path I could take to prepare me for working with children.  During my undergraduate degree I work with children of various ages and various disabilities which solidified my passion for working with children.   I graduated within 4 years of beginning my undergraduate degree and I was able to begin the UBC teacher education program the September following my graduation.  I doubted myself at the very beginning of the program wondering if this profession was the right fit for me.  The beginning of practicum quickly wiped away any doubts remaining in my mind.  I will graduate from the UBC BEd program on August 8 and I look forward to any opportunity to work in an elementary school.

copyright: Artona

copyright: Artona