TOC Day

Posted by in Practicum

During my practicum I had the opportunity to participate in a TOC day.  This was a day in which I switched practicum classrooms with another teacher candidate from my cohort.  I was able to completely switch grades and school districts.  My practicum was in a North Vancouver school in a grade 1 classroom.  My TOC day was in a Vancouver school in a grade 3 classroom.

The teacher candidate left a detailed plan for me and her SA gave me the most authentic experience by leaving the classroom completely while I taught.  The students engaged in DPA (daily physical activity), then had math and handwriting.  The students also had gym and library (in which they were completing a solar system unit).  It was interesting to teach math as they were working on division, a concept that was novel to me in my teaching career.  I also have never taught handwriting so that was interesting as well.

The students were extremely well behaved and gave me the confidence to do this everyday if I have the opportunity to work on a TOC list.  I would say this was a valuable experience and I am fortunate to be able to have engaged in such an opportunity.

Myself along with two other teacher candidates who participated in the TOC day.