Nov 18 2012

Flex Watches: Watches that tell a story, not just the time

Published by at 6:23 am under Uncategorized

In our most recent class, Social Enterprise Applied, instructor Jeff Kroeker shed light on some examples of social enterprises, such as TOMS shoes, whose now infamous “one-for-one” mission promises to deliver a pair of shoes to a child in need with each pair of shoes purchased.

Over the weekend, I stumbled upon an advertisement that lead me to the homepage for Flex Watches, another company contributing to the up and coming wave of social enterprises. Flex Watches concept, the so-called “10-10-10” mission, is simple: they manufacture 10 watches of different colour, have partnered up with 10 different charities, and promise to donate 10% of the revenues generated by each specifically coloured watch to the associated charity it represents (for example, think a pink watch for breast cancer). For further explanation, here is a video that summarizes what the enterprise is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqxqK2NS7w&feature=player_embedded

In my opinion, their business plan is brilliant. If the company is able to market itself effectively and become recognized on a global scale, there’s no telling what an impact these donations might have. Based on what I saw on their website, however, I believe the watches correspond to a very young target demographic and that, in order to see sustained success, they should consider developing a more sophisticated product line.

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS