About

The George Mercer (G.M.) Dawson Club is a student-run undergraduate club for Geology and Geophysics students based in the Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC.

The G.M. Dawson Club has been supporting geoscience students at UBC since 1921. Our primary goals are to coalesce enthusiastic undergraduates with faculty and industry, facilitated by providing resources to students, initiating bonding within the geosciences community and embarking on invaluable geology based field trips.

But, who is G.M. Dawson?

The club is named after George Mercer Dawson, a Canadian geologist, surveyor, author, teacher, civil servant, geographer, anthropologist, and palaeontologist renowned for creating the first maps of the Yukon used in the Klondike Gold rush.  A strong character and remarkable scientist, Dawson did not let his deformed back and stunted growth (from tuberculosis as a child) limit his physical capabilities in leading numerous expeditions across treacherous terrains, challenging even for the physically fit. Dawson City, YT, and Dawson Creek, BC, are named in his honour.

1 Response to About

1. Paul James says:

Dear Sir/Madam. I am 61 years old and retired from the RCMP. When my parents died they left me an old map. It is approx. 90 years old. Drawn by hand.

I researched the area near Yale, BC and found that it was a gold producing area at the turn of the century.

The map shows an “X” and description of the location. It is possible this is the location of a gold deposit or mine.

Further, when I was around 11 years old an old man who my sister and I knew told me about a lost gold deposit near Yale, BC. Two men who found the deposit both went to Europe in WW1 as part of the Canadian Army. Both were killed. The old man I knew also fought in WW1 with the Canadian Army. The two men who were killed did not disclose the location of the mine.

This map may or may not relate to the lost deposit mentioned above.

I would like to show the map to a mining student and ask for their opinion on what if anything I should do.

Thanks

Paul James