Posted by: | 14th Jun, 2011

Fostering an Interactive Learning Experience

Keeping in mind your own experiences as a teacher and as a student, consider what Anderson means when he describes the attributes of learning in terms of being learner-, knowledge-, assessment-, and community-centred. To what extent have you experienced online or mixed-mode courses that achieved this kind of learning environment?

As a MET student, I’ve noticed that there’s a greater emphasis on community-centred learning through asynchronous and synchronous discussions/chats compared to some of the previous online courses that I’ve taken outside of this program. I find that everyone is actively trying to build their knowledge through ongoing inquiries and commentaries in their discussion posts. Also, it seems that the amount of instructor-led interaction varies from course to course. Some instructors choose to actively participate in the online community alongside students whereas others have left it mostly up to the students to lead the discussions.

I recall in ETEC 510, we had the opportunity to work on a group project and instead of using the available discussion forum space or Google Docs (both of which we were familiar with) our group decided to step outside of our comfort zone to try something new and used Teambox. It helped us to not only learn how to use a new tool, but also to collaborate on our group project using social software features and enabled us to stay connected with each other outside of our virtual classroom. Additionally, in terms of a learner-centred context, Anderson (2008) suggests offering virtual icebreakers and opportunities for student to introduce themselves. I can definitely attest to the fact that all of my MET courses so far have consistently included an opportunity for student introductions during the first week of classes to help us all get to know each other. As well, the activities have focused on the learner and I think each student realizes that he/she is ultimately responsible for their learning experience throughout the program. The learner-centred approach is about balancing the amount of assistance instructors offer their students and encouraging them to become more independent learners. Even in terms of the weekly discussion topics, I appreciate that it takes into account the diversity of learners and their previous teaching/learning experiences. It seems that the topics have been strategically selected in order to promote students’ interests and act as motivation to engage in active learning.

Also, in regards to the assessment-centred context some of my MET courses so far have used both formative and summative evaluations. However, for the most part assessments have been summative in nature. Yet, in ETEC 500 students were encouraged by the instructor to share drafts of their assignments (i.e. article critiques, etc) on the discussion forums prior to submission so that everyone had the opportunity to receive peer feedback to improve their papers (which also draws upon the community-centred approach). In terms of the knowledge-centred context, all of the MET courses have thus far grounded itself in relevant theoretical frameworks, and have offered additional online resources to help students reflect and further develop their knowledge. As Anderson (2008) states the internet has definitely expanded opportunities for learners to deepen their knowledge base however it is up to the skillful e-teacher to effectively offer the “big-picture scaffolding” so that students can discover relevant information on their own.

How might you use the learning technologies tools you have at your disposal to help you to create meaningful interactions?

I currently utilize WebEx meetings to connect with my colleagues who are located throughout the province and use Google Docs to collaboratively work on projects. However, I’m looking forward to applying the knowledge and skills that I’ll be learning from developing a functional Moodle site directly to my work as there is no e-learning library instruction in place as of yet. I’d like to incorporate some interactive features including discussion forums and live chats to help support the development of community-centred learning among healthcare practitioners.

Reference:
Anderson, T. (2008). Towards a theory of online learning. In T. Anderson (Ed.). The Theory and practice of online learning (2nd ed.) (pp.45-74). Athabasca, AB: Athabasca University. Retrieved from http://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/99Z_Anderson_2008-Theory_and_Practice_of_Online_Learning.pdf