Posted by: | 12th May, 2011

Diana’s Self-Assessment of Competencies

Step 1: In my own teaching, in what ways do I:

a) Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity
– As part of my teaching strategy, I try to encourage hospital staff to reflect and provide opportunities for discussion to solve their real-life research questions using online medical databases.

– I try to engage students by creating interactivities that test their problem-solving abilities and students are given the option to work independently or collaboratively then share their findings with the rest of the class.

b) Design and develop digital-age learning experiences and assessments
– This is an area that I have identified needs improvement.

– Although I try to design relevant learning experiences which incorporate online resources that promote student learning and creativity, students are not provided with individualized learning activities; rather it is a classroom-based activity for the most part (unless it’s a 1-1 training session).

– Students are not assessed formally in their learning; rather informally questions are asked throughout a session and learning objectives are summarized at the beginning and end of a lesson.

c) Model digital-age work and learning
– Through the use of blogs (Blogger) and our library’s websites (Microsoft SharePoint and Expression Web) I communicate relevant information to health region staff to help keep them informed.

– I provide training sessions on our library’s resources and services including how to effectively search online to teach staff how to retrieve and analyze information in support of patient-care, research and life-long learning.

d) Promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility
– I advocate and teach the ethical use of digital information by teaching sessions on copyright law and using reference management software (EndNote, Refworks).

– To address the diverse needs of learners I provide access to a range of online resources and offer group and individualized training sessions.

– I utilize email, Google Docs and WebEx to stay connected with staff and collaborate with colleagues. I share information with my co-workers on upcoming tech webinars and news that may be useful for them.

e) Engage in professional growth and leadership
– I continually strive to improve my abilities and skills by seeking professional development opportunities including: participating in webinars, subscribing to listservs via email and LinkedIn, staying current by setting up RSS feeds via Google Reader, participating in online communities (i.e. ALA Connect), attending conferences and workshops, reading journals, etc.

– I also stay connected through active association memberships and volunteering on committees.

– In terms of technology, I’ve taken courses on Dreamweaver at the University of Saskatchewan to improve my skills in web design and have purchased books to teach myself how to use Microsoft Expression. I readily try out and use different educational technologies including screen recording software (i.e. CamStudio, Screenr), voice recording software (i.e. Free sound recorder), text-to-speech software (i.e. Voki), movie making software (i.e. Xtranormal), presentation sharing software (i.e. Slideshare), etc.

Step 2: Reflection and Goals
After examining the syllabus, I’m truly excited about the various learning technologies we will be engaging in shortly. I’ve been meaning to transition to WordPress from Blogger, however seeing that this is part of our e-portfolio it will give me an excellent opportunity to use it on a regular basis. I currently use Blogger to post library-related news for work.

Another new tool I’m looking forward to using and hopefully implementing in my own line of work is Moodle. I’d like to provide staff with e-learning opportunities rather than the traditional face-to-face instruction which at times can be challenging as some hospital staff are located in rural areas. Connecting with them via an online medium will certainly be useful, however I am mindful that there will be a variety of learners with different skill sets including varying levels of computer and information literacy skills.

Moreover, although I have created and used wikis in the past, attempting to implement it in my work setting may present a challenge. Our library is planning to purchase LibGuides as a better way of organizing our research guides specialized for various departments within the hospital setting. I think that wikis are only as successful as its participants so I’m not sure of the uptake if I were to develop one at work. However, I may be wrong though- as it may just be a matter of what topics are created. It may be like that Field of Dreams motto, if you build it they will come.

Lastly, I think knowing that there are a variety of tools available at one’s disposal is one thing. However, knowing how to effectively utilize it into instruction is another. In library school, there was only one instructional strategies course offered which I took. Yet, most of my teaching experience has developed on the job and through my own initiative to learn different strategies. Hence, this is one of the major reasons I’m taking this program so that I can formally upgrade my teaching skills so I can better assist staff, physicians and residents. Ultimately, I’m hoping to get ideas on how I can go about incorporating some of the educational tech skills I’ll be acquiring throughout this course. Another important aspect will be getting my colleagues on board with changes so it can be implemented successfully and seamlessly.