Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Social Media and Natural Disasters

Natural disasters are nothing new, but social media and smartphones have made it possible for people to contact loved ones to ensure they are safe after a disaster. In the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that occurred in Japan in 2011, and more recently following h=Hurricane Sandy in the USA this past fall, people turned to technology for assurance. After the disaster has occurred and forgotten by the news, social media keeps the event fresh in people’s minds. Facebook has a page on their website named “Using Social Media Before, During, and After a Natural Disaster.” This page gives detailed instructions on how to properly use Facebook to get in touch with people and also provides links to other Facebook pages such as the Red Cross and FEMA as well as a Red Cross’ “Safe and Well.” Safe and Well allows people in the disaster area to register themselves and they then can be searched for by loved ones; although both parties must be register, it is another way to connect people with people when traditional methods are not always reliable.

Another type of social networking site whose most well-known use are various sites that were created after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan 2011 for the sole purpose of returning lost property to the rightful owners. If people came across items they could upload a picture and a description of the item and people could search the sites for their property.

A limiting factor to having the ability to connect with people during and immediately following the disaster is being able to power one’s phone, although after Hurricane Sandy in New York City people who had power allowed other to charge their phones. From personal experience, I was able to contact with family living in the New York Tri- State area through social media during and after Sandy, a feat which was nearly unthinkable nearly ten years ago.

5 Responses to Social Media and Natural Disasters

1. Eva Quintana

This is something that really interests me as well. I think I already posted something on these lines on our class discussion, not about social media in the midst of a disaster, but in dangerous countries: in Mexico, people are using FB and especially twitter to let their friends and loved ones know about areas that should be avoided because there’s a shooting or a police raid. Whenever something like that happens, you can’t find any information in news sites, but you can get very well informed through people you know. In a place where traditional media doesn’t work, where the press is inefficient or it’s controlled by a crooked government, you can at least rely on your friends.

2. dcostel

I have seen several documentaries where the subject of using social media in dangerous countries such as Mexico, is becoming more prevalent. I know two group projects were about the Arab Spring and they too made mention of gaining information which was not available to news outlets. One can truly get an insider’s look at events which until now is often forgotten in personal accounts and later history. Now as a society we need to figure out a way to archive these accounts and information for future generations.

3. Taryn

Thanks for the mention of that “Using Social Media in a Disaster” Facebook page. I’m going to go check it out after I finish posting this! Seeing as social media now seems such an inescapable part of many peoples’ lives, do you think it would be worth it for a library (or other public, educational institution) to run courses on this type of thing? While they might not teach you something you didn’t already know, such sessions might help to give people an idea of what to do – a plan, if you will. We have fire drills (and, on Vancouver Island at least, earthquake drills) in schools – why not some sort of post-disaster “this is what you need to do” drill/session? I certainly would not think of registering with “Safe and Well” if I’d just been through a massive disaster, so I think sessions like that could actually be quite beneficial.

4. dcostel

You make a great point, most people consider social media for its entertainment value and nothing else. I work in a public library, it would be a great idea to have a class on the topic. I will ask the director if there is any possible way of hold a class. I am going to post on FB about their “Safe and Well” page.

5. Taryn

I’d be interested in hearing updates on whether or not she thinks a class could be held, particularly if you work at a library in Vancouver! (I can’t remember where everybody is based)