The Purpose of Stories

Posted by in Uncategorized

6. Write a summary of three significant points that you find most interesting in the final chapter of If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories?

In J. Edward Chamberlin’s novel, “If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories?”, the author introduces what I believe is a very useful tool or springboard for dialogue through the need for stories which are based on history, but serve the purpose of fostering commonalities. In recent Canadian news, the Conservative majority rejected a bill which was viewed to be beneficial towards dialogue with First Nations and general Canadian law. After reading the novel, in particular the last chapter, I believe that Chamberlin raises important issues and provides useful insight into bridging gaps within communication which is highly applicable to a multitude of circumstances.

Firstly, Chamberlin notes that “the notion of contradictory truths is troubling” (221). I believe this is one of the most central points to the novel- the issues that surround perspectives and perception have been said to potentially be the source of major conflict, in this case reflected upon misunderstandings which surface between inhabitants of land. Chamberlin suggests that instead of two ‘truths’ that there are two ‘stories’, which are rich and deep in meaning to each beholder (222). I believe that Chamberlin’s notion to possess open-mindedness and to be receptive is ultimately and evidently necessary in the climate of politics today and is not solely restricted to relations held with First Nations. It is thus highly applicable in order to prevent a ‘clash’ of any form.

Secondly, Chamberlin states that the most important agreement for individuals or collective groups, is the one possessed between each other (226). This echoes the sentiments of Huntington’s work that mutual understanding needs to be forged between. For this, Chamberlin summarizes as the need for mutual respect (227). Chamberlin suggests that instead of simply adopting or practicing that of the other, one should learn to understand the prevalence of differences, which I believe are indeed hard or impossible to eliminate in our diverse worlds. As such, his sentiments once again resonate on a broader scale of global politics.

Lastly, Chamberlin writes in an impressive manner, stating that his “book has modest ambition” (239). Adopting a similar writing fashion as a famous slave narrative, Chamberlin’s humble attitude most definitely allows the reader to empathize with his sentiments, and opens one up to accepting the broad range of ‘ceremonies’ as practiced by variant cultures, and that the differences in themselves are what separates individuals, yet forms identities for groups and is thus a necessity (239-240). I believe what Chamberlin is trying to say at the end of the novel is that there are inevitable differences which exist and they have to be embraced, and similarly included in our understanding of the world in order to be able to accommodate one another and avoid a ‘clash’.

Through Chamberlin’s novel, a concept of a basis for mutual respect and understanding can be forged through the various stories which fill its contents. Reflecting upon this work as well as this course in general, I believe that perhaps there is hope towards the preservation of the rich history of Canada as well as the progression of the nation towards globalization through the tenets Chamberlin advocates for. Furthermore, in the discussion of relationships between First Nations and Canadian Law, I believe Chamberlin’s ideas have implications on a long and ongoing protest which calls on the need for dialogue and understanding. An inspiring novel, it can be read as one which creates insight for politics on a larger global scale.

idle-No-More-Dave-Chidley-CP-Ottawa-Citizen
I
dle No More Protests

Chamberlin, Edward J. If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground. Toronto: Vintage Ground. 2004. Print.

Equiano, Olaudah. The Interesting Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, The African, Written by Himself. The Gutenberg Project. 17 March 2005. Web. 22 May 2015.

Huntington, Samuel P.. “The Clash of Civilizations?” Foreign Affairs Online. Summer 1993. Web. 22 May 2015.

Lum, Zi-Ann. “Tories Kill Bill Urging ‘Harmony’ Between Canadian Law and First Nations’.”Huffington Post Canada. 7 May 2015. Web. 21 May 2015.