Changing Roles and Perspectives

Posted by in Uncategorized

For this blog assignment, I would like you to research and summarize one of the state or governing activities, such as The Royal Proclamation 1763, the Indian Act 1876, Immigration Act 1910, or the Multiculturalism Act 1989 – you choose the legislation or policy or commission you find most interesting. Write a blog about your findings and in your conclusion comment on whether or not your findings support Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility. –Dr. Erika Paterson

For this assignment, I’ve decided to focus on Japanese Canadian Internment, which I believe is a relevant topic for thought in the current climate within Canada. Not solely restricted to Vancouver, there has been tension boiling within communities with the sentiment that non-Canadian Chinese are causing property prices to skyrocket. Speaking from a third-person point of view, I am not Canadian, my ancestry is however, Chinese, but my family was born in Singapore. Considering the recent unhappiness, I believe it is pertinent to take a look back into history in order to avoid creating discontent within society and potential acts of racism as had been before.

Japanese Internment saw many (Japanese) Canadians suffer especially after World War II, many of whom were forced to leave Canada despite them having traceable lineage within Canada. A B.C. cabinet member even stated, “It is the governments plan to get these people out of B.C. as fast as possible. It is my personal intention, as long as I remain in public life, to see they never come back here. Let our slogan be for British Columbia: No Japs from the Rockies to the seas.'” (“Japanese Internment”). I believe there was an irrational fear and blame attributed at the time for which is common in situations as such within politics. With ideas based on stereotypes and ignorance, a growing sentiment of discontent often allows one’s own views to become blurred, jumping on the bandwagon and supporting such unconstitutional ideas.

As a student here in Canada and studying Canadian literature, it is thus very interesting to read about Canadian history. The First Nations saw the first European settlers as alien to the land, whilst the latter later saw migrants of other races as the aliens, using the excuse of war to subject other humans to vile atrocities, not considering themselves as in fact the ones who are alien. This assignment was very interesting as it once again brought on the recurring theme of perspectives I have seemed to discover through Canadian literature.

Our variance in points of views extend from “who was here first” to “who is allowed to buy property here”. On a less academic note, I have read comments on Buzzfeed and VancityBuzz regarding the rise in housing prices in Vancouver due to foreign investors. There often were commenters of Chinese race who were fortunate to attain Canadian citizenship earlier on, and are now turning the tables on their previous countrymen, asking them to ‘go back to where they came from’. It’s interesting to observe the altered mindsets of people who are able to speak from so to say ‘privileged’ points of view. My apologies for rambling but I hope my points regarding the necessity for being aware of perspectives shines through!

“From Racism to Redress: The Japanese Canadian Experience.” Canadian Race Relations Foundation Online. n.d. Web. 26 June 2015.

Glavin, Terry. “Glavin: Canada’s Unhappy Affair With Chinese Billionaires.” Ottawa Citizen. 22 April 2015, Web. 26 June 2015.

“Japanese Internment: British Columbia Wages War Against Japanese Canadians.” CBC Learning Online. n.d. Web. 26 June 2015.

Paterson, Erika. “Lesson 3:1.” ENGL 470A: Canadian Studies. University of British Columbia Department of English, May 2015. Web. 26 June 2015.