Self-Assessment Reflection

As we complete English 301, we have learned how to properly write technical documents based on the submissions we have produced for the past four months. I have become more aware of the strengths that I have used for the past writing works and the weaknesses I have tried to improve upon. I will continue to develop the technical writing skills that I learned to achieve success in my future career.

Strengths

There are three major strengths in my technical writing that I have noticed based on the reviews and evaluations I received in this course. One is my attention to detail, which I have demonstrated through my peer review submissions and reflection blog posts. I realized that I tend to pay close attention to accuracy, formatting, and consistency in writing, as well as catching errors and typos when reviewing documents. I also tend to update and revise my work before submission, as I check for errors or try to improve the overall writing quality. The second strength I have noticed is my ability to organize information, which is also evident in my blog posts. There are numerous requirements with complex information that we need to submit, and before doing so, I usually use tools such as headings and bullet points to make the document concise and more accessible to readers. Lastly, the third strength I have observed is my critical thinking skills. I discovered this early in the course when I was writing the definition assignment. The first thing that came to mind was how I wanted to present the information to the readers, or the term “flow” in short. This strength was also very helpful when I was writing the data sections for my formal report since I needed to present a lot of information. Knowing the flow I wanted to convey to my documents made writing more efficient.

Weaknesses

During this course, I have identified two weaknesses in my technical writing skills. Firstly, I have noticed that I tend to use a negative tone in my writing, which was evident while working on my survey questions. I had to revise the questions three times after referring to the guidelines provided and seeking feedback from my peers to ensure that they were appropriate. Moreover, while working on my formal report, I unintentionally used a negative tone while trying to create a flow of information, which backfired on me.
Secondly, I have observed that I often misuse imperative verbs, which made some of my writing appear harsh. This weakness became apparent to me when I was working on the Best Practices assignment on LinkedIn and my formal report. To improve my writing skills for future endeavors, I will work on these weaknesses and ensure that my writing style is appropriate and effective.

Effects on Future Goals

As someone aspiring to work in the software industry, I have found English 301 to be instrumental in enhancing my technical writing skills. Through this course, I have been able to identify my strengths in attention to detail, information organization, and critical thinking, which are particularly valuable in this field.
In the software industry, precision and accuracy are crucial, and attention to detail is essential. With my proficiency in this area, I can ensure that my technical documents are error-free and consistently formatted. Additionally, my organizational skills enable me to effectively condense complex information and requirements into concise and accessible documentation for my colleagues. Lastly, my critical thinking abilities are essential in finding logical and efficient approaches to problem-solving, an asset in the software industry.
Overall, the technical writing skills I have gained from English 301 will undoubtedly have a positive impact on my future goals in the software industry. I am committed to continuing my development in this area to achieve success in my future career.