A Humble Reflection

As this term draws to a close, lectures of replaced by study sessions and thoughts of home grow more and more frequent, I consider the fluidity of my own life narrative. A concept that never arose in my research of life narratives this term was how life narratives are any thing but static. Everyday, every second of every day my story changes. i am no longer the small town girl who had never done anything adventurous. But I am not the scholar I wish to grow into, but rather caught somewhere in limbo. This is truly difficult in the projection of my own life narrative. When someone asks me where I am from the answer is no longer clear. All the life narratives we studied in class are reflections, stories looking back on the events of the past as they are rooted safely after them. But what about life narratives of the present? From this term I have noted that social media does a good job to satisfy he need to tell the story of the moment. Whether it be a arbitrary tweet about the squirrel outside of your residence hall or a selfy of your fabulous hair day, social media acts as a form of documentation of the moment. What is truly interesting about social media as a life narrative is that is lacks that reflection piece seen in published life narratives, for the most part is utterly present. This provides a lack of relating all the isolated events into one larger story. At the current moment in time, I believe I am incapable of writing my own life narrative, because I am so transitory that by the time I finished typing, things will have changed, but through social media, I am tell my story as it is happening, and although the story I share may not be true in the years to come, at that moment in time it was.