Technology Interview Transcript and Analysis

Transcription Analysis
 Q1. What are some specific   examples of how you use technology to engage students?“I use the Smart Board for   checking prior knowledge, enhancing new concepts and metacognition. I find I   can use it to help the kids think about their learning, not just the content.”“I like to have the kids use   the laptops to make presentations like PowerPoint, Notebook and Animoto. They   love using them to present in front of the rest of the class.”

Q2. What technology would   you like to see implemented into your classroom teaching?

“I would really like to see   iPad and iPhone apps used in class. There are so many available that there   must be some good ones to use in science.”

Q3.  Can you think of some examples of how   technology has made a negative impact on students in your classroom?

“ Kids these days get   off-task so easily. When we use the laptops I find I have to really monitor   what pages they are on. That is why I have my desk at the back of the room. I   can see every screen when I am walking at the back.”

Q4. What challenges do you   face when implementing new technology into your teaching?

“There is so much information   to choose from that the kids get somewhat anxious as they start out. I guess   discerning quality information from trash would be the toughest part.”

“Detecting bias in technology   is also very difficult, especially when you don’t know who or how many   authors create something online.”

Q5. How do your colleagues   share technological knowledge with each other? How do you think this can be   improved?

It is mostly shared through our PD sessions throughout the year.”

“We could have a tech moment   during every staff meeting where we can share the most current educational   information.”

Q6. Describe the ideal   physical classroom setup for technology use.

-iPads, Smard Boards, laptops,   projectors, document cameras, cell phones, and gaming systems

“If I had ready access to all of these there would be so much that I could in a science class. You know what? We do have most of this stuff. I guess it would be nice to have it here in my room all the time. To have it right here and pull it out when it makes sense to do so.”

This interview took place after school in LG’s classroom on Jan 18th, 2012.  She is a junior high science and language arts teacher with 8 years of teaching experience. The room is outfitted with a Smart Board and 32 student desks, in rows.

I found that LG is really   trying to use the technology that we have learned through PD in her   classroom. With the implementation of Smart Boards in the school, she uses what   has been shared but does not explore much beyond what others have taught her.LG tries to make the Smart   Board interactive for her students, not just a screen at the front.The school has recently   purchased laptop carts and a new computer lab, making a total of 4 class sets   of computers.  The programs that LG   uses have all been pushed heavily at the school in the past through PD activities.Question I have: How do teachers become explorers   of technology instead of mere users?

The use of smart phones has   been as hot topic lately and there have not been any definitive answers   whether they should be used in schools or not. I need to do some research on   studies that show the effects of smart phone use in class.

A common problem with   technology integration is distractibility. Our class has discussed where the   line should be drawn between tool and toy. It has come up that we use our   toys for tools after work, why can’t we use the tools for toys during work. The   whole balance of the private/public work relationship is changing. We are   always working, so why not play a little at work?

The information era and the   internet makes great amounts of information available to everyone but the   quality may be diminished as anyone can be an author.

What steps do educators need   to take to teach students about quality and choosing reliable sources.

What biases are evident in   technology use? Do they affect our use of technology and how?

As noted earlier, LG learns and   uses the technology presented during PD sessions and would like to learn more   but finds it difficult to do so on her own. Constant guidance and support   would be beneficial for many staff.

Great idea that would only   take 2 minutes every month in staff meetings.

Our school does have access   to most of the items listed but is not always to schedule with everyone else   who wants to use it. The librarian only works at the school 3 days a week,   which makes it even more difficult to coordinate. Access to the technology is key. I should be readily available in each department and ideally, in every classroom, depending on the teacher’s comfort level.