LfU in Earth Science

Edelson et al. (2002) explain how the Learning-for-Use model uses a 3-step process of motivation, knowledge construction and knowledge refinement. They specifically note, “An individual constructs new knowledge as the result of experiences that enable him or her to add new concepts to memory, subdivide existing concepts, or make new connections between concepts.” I agree that these experiences are what create lasting knowledge. Edelson et al. also explain that “In the refinement step, knowledge is re-organized, connected to other knowledge, and reinforced in order to support its future retrieval use.” This reinforcement solidifies the learning and allows for possible extensions.

Earth science is delivered from the view of what we know of our own planet, Earth. A challenge is how to transfer this Earth-based knowledge to other planets with their many differing characteristics. Some knowledge needs to be re-taught or deconstructed before being built on sound scientific principles due to misconceptions learned through misinformation (example: the sun is directly overhead at noon each day).
The project begins setting the stage by connecting prior knowledge of Earth to a similar planet X. The task is then set to explore the specific temperature characteristics of this new planet building on their prior knowledge of temperature zones. Teachers can choose to use a Progress Portfolio to record observations and reflections. Students then use the scientific method to investigate specific temperature factors for their planet. Through a hypothesis, procedure, data analysis, and reflection students are able to have experiences with the material being taught. I do not know that just by creating an artificial scenario the students will engage in the assignment. Some might even be put off by it, as they may struggle to grasp all the possible factors that go into deciphering temperature zones.

I like how Martha prepared her students by telling them that she was not going to tell them the answers but that they needed to discover them on their own, just as a scientist would. She even gave them the opportunity to recollect experimental data. I would use physical models as much as possible to show the angle of light and temperature zones. I would also use computers as an additional teaching tool specifically Google Earth views of temperature zones, online videos, and applicable controlled simulations. If possible, I would like to set up a working model with a heat source and varying temperature zones to monitor and show the relationships being tested.

I view WorldWatcher (Geode) as a good resource in teaching in a blended learning environment or TELE. I think this is what our students are looking for in science education. They are curious about the world around them and want to use technology to learn and discover new ideas. They would rather collect data using digital resources and reflect on their ideas through emailing and blogging.

Reference:

Edelson, D. C. et al. (2002). Learning-for-Use in Earth science: Kids as climate modelers. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, New Orleans, LA.