Flight Path

Background

This is my third year at Fraser Academy and 8th year  as an educator, if you count a couple of years of ESL in Japan.  I have a background in biology, but I also teach mathematics, chemistry, and general science.

I like using technology in my classroom and have done so from the outset of teaching. One of my first assignments this year was to have all of my students create a professional g-mail address.  One reason is net-citizenship while others include the ability for students to collaborate on assignments, communicate with myself and other students, and also to submit assignments electronically.  I use a SMART-board almost everyday, as all of our classrooms are equipped with them.  Student assignments have ranged from pod-casts & videos to Prezis & Power-Points, and I am looking forward to my Biology 12 class’ final mixed media “exam” presentations.

Underpinnings

Clark (1994) and Kozuma (1994) argue opposite sides of the debate about the affect of media on learning.  I agree with Clark that sound pedagogical practice is key to teaching, but I also see the potential to engage my students in a variety of different ways with media.  It may not mean that their mastery is higher, but it does allow them to explore learning modalities and demonstrate their understanding of the concepts in a varied manner.

As well, in Chapman, Masters, & Pedulla’s (2009) review of the digital divide in the US, I suspect a suspect similar results here, one of the key points was the need for teachers to possess the skills necessary to properly implement and integrate technology into their curricula.  So, while it turns out many of my ideas and practice are in line with Chickering & Gamson ‘s (1987) seven principles and Bates & Poole’s (2003) SECTION model.  Happenchance is not the best approach to educational design.

Goals

My primary goal for this program is to develop the skills, knowledge, and understanding necessary to create a quality, technology-mediated learning environment in order to promote independent learning and to create cognizant future consumers of information. I aim to have a sound grasp of the pedagogical and philosophical approaches to using technology so that I can assist other teachers to develop their lessons in a technological framework as appropriate. As well, I would like to have the background to advise the administrative team at Fraser Academy or future schools about selecting and implementing appropriate technological tools and programs.

From this course in particular I am looking to build familiarity with MOODLE and other LMS, which I hope will better enable me to connect the various media and projects I have now into a coherent plan.  Another key component I would like to build from this course is the tools and framework to assess not only student work in media, but also, the media tools themselves.  Achievement of these goals will require opportunities to develop lessons, theoretical understanding, and practice assessments.  All of which appear to be afforded by the program.

Bates, A.W., & Poole, B. (2003). A framework for selecting and using technology in A.W. Bates and B. Poole, Effective teaching with technology in higher education. 75-108. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 4.

Chapman, L., Masters, J., & Pedulla, J. (2010). Do digital divisions still persist in schools? Access to technology and technical skills of teachers in high needs schools in the United States of America. Journal of Education for Teaching, 36(2), 239-249.

Chickering, A.W., & Gamson, Z.F. (1987). Seven principles for good practice in undergraduate education. American Association for Higher Education Bulletin, 39(7), 3-7.

Clark, R. E. (1994). Media will never influence learning. Educational Technology Research and Development, 42(2), 21-29.