Home

Hello! Welcome to our Conference Research Website: Politics and Poetics in Métis Literature.

This term, our course English 470A, has been organized around the idea of story – who tells them, who listens, and how we might learn to “re-read” the story of Canada. In our text, Chamberlain’s titular question is, “If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories?”, serving as a powerful invective against settler narratives as they pertain to both land and to history. This research project has been developed around pushing this idea further: having ‘unlearned’ so much, what new critical vision can we bring to reading a diversity of First Nations literatures?

"Cross Addressing",  by David Garneau, 2002.

“Cross Addressing”, by David Garneau, 2002.

Drawing on Sophie McCall’s suggested literary ‘intervention strategy’ “Diasporas, Indigenous Sovereignties, and Métis Writing in Canada” allows us to discuss the possibility of a critical approach to Métis writing that can examine the spaces of tension within discourses of nationhood-as-belonging and histories of displacement in Canada. How might theories of diaspora speak to the “sovereignties-in-motion” (McCall 22) of peoples affected by forced relocation, reserves, residential schools, foster care systems as well as mixed-race and urban Aboriginals whose nationalisms, histories and literatures  may not be fixed within clear boundaries of territorial claim or struggles for cultural autonomy. By recognizing Métis subjectivity within a constellation of social contexts lies the possibility of creating a deeper recognition of “belonging in more than one place, time, memory, and body” (McCall 38).

As we begin, here are some Métis voices speaking about what their culture and identity means to them:

Garneau, David. “Cross Addressing”. 2002. Oil on Canvas. 153 x 122.5 cm.

Kikino Métis. “We Are Métis”. Online Video Clip. YouTube. YouTube, 4 Apr 2013. Web. 21 Jul 2015.

McCall, Sophie, Christine Kim, and Melina Baum Singer. “Diaspora and Nation in Métis Writing.” Cultural Grammars of Nation, Diaspora, and Indigeneity in Canada. Waterloo, Ont.: Wilfrid Laurier UP, 2012. 21-41. Web.

SFU Department of English. “Sophie McCall”. Faculty and Staff Profiles. Simon Fraser University, n.d. Web. 22 July 2015.

11 Thoughts.

1. Hi!
    First of all, your site’s aesthetic is absolutely lovely–I love the “Cross Addressing” image and your header, well done! I think your focus is fantastic because not only is it unique, but it covers a specific and important perspective in Indigenous literature and identity: the fact that Indigenous literature and identity are far from homogenous, and often deal with these notions of being torn between identities. This can apply to urban Indigeneity, but also Metis identities. Not only is there a lot to flesh out as far as culture and voices go, but also the hard politics in Canada that determine what is and is not “actually” or “legitimately” Indigenous.
    Reading the “About Us” section is equally exciting, as you all seem to bring unique perspectives to the table. I look forward to seeing this site develop.
    Cheers!
    Jocelyn

2. Hi guys! Our group almost chose this for our research project. It’s such a great topic and one we were so interested in diving into.
    “How might theories of diaspora speak to the “sovereignties-in-motion” (McCall 22) of peoples affected by forced relocation, reserves, residential schools, foster care systems as well as mixed-race and urban Aboriginals whose nationalisms, histories and literatures may not be fixed within clear boundaries of territorial claim or struggles for cultural autonomy.”
    Your focus for your research is what captured my attention towards this particular journal intervention. Since we covered a lot on topics of isolation and needs for inclusion throughout the Aboriginal culture; it’ll be so great to read about this particular type of culture that has been through so much, especially, like it was said in the video, there are a lot of misconceptions about Metis (also great visual choice), and even I myself can still get confused on the different cultures and peoples. So I’m very excited to learn more about this and to follow your research journey!

3. Hi!
    I really enjoyed reading your introduction to your research aims and am greatly looking forward to seeing where your research leads you! I too was very interested in McCall’s piece when I was reading through the interventions, and therefore I am looking forward to being a part of this dialogue. The notion of “sovereignties-in-motion” is a compelling one, in that it places “belonging”/ “home”/”community” in flux, and points to a form of diasporic resiliency to settler colonialism.

-Laura

-Laura

4. Hello, what a beautiful blog! I love your research topic and I find your focus extremely interesting. I am especially interested in your ideas and research on diaspora and displaced communities. The concept of displaced communities imprisoned in reservations is an interesting one and plays with ideas of space and ownership.
    I’m looking forward to your work!

5. Hi guys! I think it’s great that you’re focusing on Métis writing, which has been so underrepresented in past discussions about Aboriginal culture. The image you used is interesting, and I wonder if you had any insight on the artist’s intention behind it. I also like that you are approaching your topic through the theme of displacement. Looking forward to your research!

6. Hi guys!

I felt like the following quote from your conference project description really struck a chord with me:

“By recognizing Métis subjectivity within a constellation of social contexts lies the possibility of creating a deeper recognition of “belonging in more than one place, time, memory, and body” (McCall 38).”

I love the idea of you approaching the issues from a broader context and acknowledging the varying experiences that each individual has, and that goals for the future landscape of Canadian literature cannot be isolated to suit one particular goal. I also love that you decided to focus on Metis culture and I’m excited to see the ideas your team comes up with on how to tackle these issues! Best of luck!

7. Hey,

I think you guys have a very strong topic for this project. I like that you are focusing on a specific group and looking into it deeply and not making a generalization for all groups! It will open up a path so that we are better able to understand their culture and how they view different things. The video was a great pick to go along with this as well. I can’t wait to read more about it!!

8. Hi there,

I’m really glad you chose to highlight the Metis culture. It is one that I’ve often seen over looked or under represented. Your research question undermines a binary of being either white or First Nation.

I also really enjoyed watching the video. Great choice! Loved the way the participants in the video described their culture – the red river cart, the sache, the metis card. I visited Batoche, Saskatchewan when I was 6 and I had a Metis women put on a traditional sache (great cover photo!). They have a beautiful and loving culture. Unfortunately as one women states in your video, “there are a lot of misconceptions about what it means to be Metis”. Thank you for opening up this topic so that we, as a class, can dissect and unlearn, as you’ve said, what it means to be a Metis. I hope that questions like what you are asking will continue to erase those negative stigmas associated with being a half-breed.

And I loved one of the quotes you chose to frame your presentation, “belonging in more than one place, time memory and body.”

I’ll check back for more on your website!

Cheers!

-Hannah

9. Hi,

I think it’s wonderful that your group has found a rich but focused theme to work with on this project. I have been thinking a lot about another oppressed culture in Canada, which is the Acadian culture. There must be a lot of similarities between the two, of which language suppression under British rule is probably the most significant. I hope that through this project I might be able to explore the ways in which we can incorporate different cultures into the national quilt without distorting stories through translation into the English language. I look forward to more input from your team!

10. Hey team!

I look forward to reading more of your team’s work! I like how your team highlighted the theme of this course, and tying it to Sophie McCall’s intervention strategy as well. The problem of the loss of culture and identity as a result of displacement is one which is interesting to observe.
    With the idea of assimilation allowing most to observe such occurrences from the point of view of migrants, it is important to see it and understand it from the other end of the spectrum. I loved the video as well! Great job!