Saarah: Metis History and Identity

Brown, Jennifer S. H. “Métis.” The Canadian Encyclopedia. Ed. Adam Gaudry. Historica Canada, 01 July 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2015.

Jennifer S. H. Brown’s article for the Canadian Encyclopedia, titled simply “Métis” is a starting point for our investigations into Métis stories and writing. The Canadian Encyclopedia is an encyclopedia which allows everyone to learn about Canada, its people, and its history. Jennifer S. H. Brown is a Professor of History at the University of Winnipeg and was the Canada Research Chair for Aboriginal Peoples and Histories in 2004. The articles was revised by Adam Gaudry, an Assistant Professor at the University of Sasatchewan who is also Métis. Due to the unique pairing of Brown and Gaudry this article is not only indicative of Métis history and identity from the perception of a non-Métis individual, but also that of a Métis individual.

While Brown begins by defining Métis as “people of mixed European and Indigenous ancestry” the article shows us more than simple definitions by going systematically through history. Brown and Gaudry look at different Métis communities, for example the Great Lakes Communities and the Western Métis and their individual histories. The article emphasizes that “Métis identity is not simply the result of a dual heritage, but rather a matter of possessing a singular cultural heritage of dual origins”. Thus highlighting that there is no single definition of Métis, that it is a more “fluid” (Peressini 87) definition depending on one’s history and identity. To be Métis means to have “Métis heritage” even if one is of Cree and French-Canadian descent. In order to look at Métis stories it is important to understand this kind of information especially for someone who may not have previous knowledge of the Métis community and its history. The article not only outlines Métis history but draws the reader into the present with the Daniels v. Canada case – an appeal by Métis leader, Harry Daniels – and its potential far reaching consequences with regards to modern day Métis organizations. The historical narrative provided by this article

This article is integral to beginning research about Métis writings by giving the reader a summarized but descriptive overview of Métis history. It also helps one realize that Métis history and identity is complex and intricate and, as evidenced by the comments, cannot be defined in one way. It helps one to understand the idea of “belonging in more than one place, time, memory, and body” (McCall 38) by showing the many aspects of Canada. As communities move, disperse, and change so do peoples’ experiences and this article allows us a view of different Métis communities. The addition of comments at the bottom of the article also allow the reader to see the differences in Métis identity and its definition. In order to understand where stories and writings come from it is important to first understand the history and identity of the people who write them.

Chartrand, Larry N., Tricia E. Logan, and Judy D. Daniels. Métis History and Experience and Residential Schools in Canada. Ottawa: Aboriginal Healing Foundation, 2006. Print.

Peressini, Sabrina. “From ‘Great Lakes Metis’ to ‘Aboriginal People of Canada’: The Changing Identity of Canadian Metis During the Eighteenth, Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries.” The Canadian Student Journal of Anthropology 14.1 (2000): 87-107. Print.

Vowel, Chelsea. “You’re Métis? So Which of Your Parents Is an Indian?” Web log post. âpihtawikosisân. WordPress, 20 Dec. 2011. Web. 10 Aug. 2015.

This blog post encapsulates the idea of Métis identity through the eyes of a Métis person. Her blog post answers questions – that people have asked her and that she has answered herself – about the complexities of Métis identity and the distinctions between different perceptions of Métis which allow us a clearer idea of what it means to be Métis. 

4 Thoughts.

1. Hello,

Sorry about the mix-up, I did want to comment on your ideas! I just write everything up in Word first and paste it in here and got mixed up on which one it belonged to for a moment.

I think this one is a great pick for the topic that you are looking into. I really like what they are emphasizing “Metis identity is not simply the result of a dual heritage, but rather a matter of possessing a singular cultural heritage of dual origins”. This is defiantly a different way to be looking at it, knowing that everything started from two different ideas that are coming together to create a culture. It allows us to better understand where they came from and how it go to be what it is today.

Thanks for sharing!

Kathryn

• Hi Kathryn,

No worries 🙂 and thank you for your comment!

I really enjoyed that aspect of the article as well especially since looking at heritage/identity that way was something so different for me. I was so used to being able to define and while reading more about Métis identity it became so poignant that the act of defining is not as important as people often want it to be!

I also think that the idea of a “fluid” identity is incredible – especially when considered at a global level and the way the world is changing.

Regards,
      Saarah

2. Hello Tai,

I found this quiet interesting. I am glad that you guys decided to examine the cultural divide or the cohesion within the Metis culture. Cohesion within a culture is not something that is often looked at very closely. Everyone assumes that within one culture everyone does and thinks the same why. Which isn’t always the case, sometimes it is trying to find the common though or belief that everyone is able to agree or at least me able to understand.

I find in every culture there is a push for appearances, they need to fit into the mould of society and those who don’t fit into this are told to try or change. I find this theory of removing skin tone from ethnicity great! There are a lot of different cultures within people that may not be able to show on the outside. Once you are able to get past this exterior wall you are able to see who makes that person, and the ancestors they draw from.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,

Kathryn