Guaman Poma Reflection

When I read the Guaman Poma text I empathized with Inca Atagualpa because where I come from, El Salvador, religion is also something that is enforced on people and if you’re not Roman Catholic then people will see you as cursed or as if there’s really something wrong with you. Nevertheless, it’s not as gruesome as what happened to the Indians who stood up to the Spaniards. In general it was a slightly confusing text to understand, however, it was an interesting text to read because you get to see Guaman Poma’s perspective and how it must feel like to be invaded by a race that’s far more advanced than you. This also happens sometimes in Latin America nowadays, I feel, when there are local shops and businesses and then a huge multinational company comes, like McDonald’s or Walmart and then locals have to start working for the new companies since they lost theirs; modern slavery.

Indian, Guanca Bilca, later named Felipe” is such a clear example of the transformation that the Americas underwent with that conquer, there aren’t very many people left in Latin America with native names, most of them have names that descend from the “old world”. It is rare to see someone in El Salvador who actually has an Indian name.

I think I can really relate to this text because even now in El Salvador it feels as if though people from European descent are wealthy compared to those from Indigenous descent, usually peasants. The lust for power and greediness still hasn’t completely left Latin America as well a large part of Latin governments are still highly connected to the Roman Catholic church of their respective countries. I can’t, however, say that my family hasn’t benefited from this and that I would be in the same position that I am right now where it not for the oppression of the indigenous people in El Salvador. Sad but true.

I didn’t really like Christopher Columbus’ journal very much. Although I did get some of the points that he made, like the poverty of the people in all aspects and the fact that they weren’t wearing anything and giving the conquistadors everything that they owned. It just seems as if Columbus knew at that very moment that it was a race that could be conquered because they were significantly less developed than Europe. It’s interesting.

2 Thoughts.

1. I completely agree with what you said, especially about the importance of considering Guaman Poma’s record of the events. Getting both sides of a story is very important. And also, the part where you mention that there is no denying that your family has benefited from the aftermath of colonization is a fundamental point of view that many Americans (whether North, Central or South) still can’t grasp – and should, for the better of our society.

2. I agree with the fact that a lot of the Latin American culture is dictated by the Catholic church. Coming from Lima, I have been around many families who historically come from Spanish descendants and are in the position they are in now due to the dominant need and opression to eliminate the indigenous people in Peru through oppression. However, I don’t know if Poma felt like he was invaded by a race far more advanced than his. The Inka civilization was a huge and powerful empire and although they did not have the metal tools and horses that Europeans had, they were very much “developed” in their own way — agriculture, social organizations, spirituality, etc.