Lidström

I went to the Canucks Opening Night game tonight, and although we ended the night with only 1 point, I left satisfied.

Rooting for Henrik Sedin to be named captain since Luongo relinquished his captaincy on September 13th, I highly anticipated the announcement of the new Captain Canuck for tonight’s game.  I could barely keep my excitement in check as the pre-game ceremony introduced the original Canucks captain Orland Kurtenbach and finally announced that the 2009-2010 season Hart and Art Ross trophy winner would wear the C on his new, 40th anniversary jersey.

Coming home to write a blog, I thought about how I could link my experience tonight to a class concept.  I contemplated the role a hockey team captain plays and whether such a title really made a difference in the team dynamic.  I came to the conclusion that naming 30 year old Henrik Sedin as the new Canucks captain is most certainly a strategy of GM Mike Gillis and Coach Alain Vigneault.  The league MVP may seem quiet and unintimidating, but is a proven leader and is obviously respected in the locker room.  I truly believe that Henrik Sedin will guide the Canucks to their first Stanley Cup, and thereby changing the entirety of Vancouver Canucks history.

Even Trevor Linden, former “Captain Canuck” responded without hestitation “Henrik.” to the “Who should be captain” question…who would know better what qualities a captain must possess?

EDIT: Not to be a total “I-told-you-so” phrase over-user, but the Canucks was the first NHL team to clinch a playoff spot and was also crowned Northwest Division Champions after their win over the Colorado Avalanches last week. We are truly making our way towards the Stanley Cup finely. Trivial fact you may not have known: every time a Canadian city hosted the Olympic Winter Games, the Stanley Cup championship immediately following was hoisted by the Canadian team (at the away game too). I don’t want to be held responsible for jinxing the boys, but I have a great feeling that Stanley Cup fever in Vancouver will last until much after my birthday this year.
(March, 2011).