Culture Jam: My Jammed Ad

My jamming of this ad attempted to uncover the meaning and intention behind Bic’s offensive poem. I felt it would be effective to translate each of the four statements into a summation of why their message was wrong. The following will illustrate how my work correlates to the original ad.

I translated “Look like a girl” to “young girls are hot” because the element of sexualizing youth was the most offensive part of that statement to me. Asking women to look like girls is problematic for a number of reasons mentioned in my first post, but for me the constant pressure media places on women to be “youthful” and “pretty” is extremely offensive.

The second line “Act like a lady” was translated to “But must be reserved” because we understand acting like a lady to be staying quiet and non-threatening. In combination with the first line it highlights the dichotomy of corporate desire for women to be workplace eye-candy and for them to stay non-threatening to men.

Finally, the third and fourth lines of “Think like a man, Work like a boss ” were decoded to “Men’s brains are better, and their power deserved.” I read Bic’s add as a cause-and-effect statement—if you look/act/think in this way, then you will work like a boss. My construction of the final two lines followed the cause-and-effect structure to its conclusion: men are more capable and intelligent, and therefore their disproportionate success and power in the workplace is deserved.