The Starbucks Phenomenon

October 25th, 2012 § 0 comments

Emily Chen’s blog post about The Starbucks Experience really got me thinking about the ingenuity behind its branding. They serve pricier coffee than most coffeehouses, but why do they still appeal to so many people? And why are the line-ups at the SUB’s Starbucks almost comparable to that of the Tim Horton’s at Sauder despite the latter having their drinks so much cheaper?

One word: marketing!

Of course, Starbucks ensures customers with premium coffee beans and quality ingredients. However, I believe it’s their marketing that sets it apart from other coffee brands.

Step inside any Starbucks outlet and you’ll immediately feel this aura of classiness (…no?). The smell of fragrant coffee wrafting in the air, the feeling of home when you see the amount of wood used in its interior design and their awesome playlist with handpicked indie music. Oh, not forgetting the sophisticated-sounding coffee names that make you sound a tad classier after managing to pronounce it right. 🙂

And did you know that there’s a clever concept behind their round tables too? Apparently, round tables are more inviting as there are no edges, so there aren’t any restrictions to how many people can fit around the table. The more the merrier, and cosier 🙂 However, it works both ways too. Round tables make people feel less alone too, especially for students who prefer to study in solitude.

It is no wonder why people would still make Starbucks their first choice despite so many cheaper alternatives out there. I am no exception, and as I’m typing this, it is no surprise that I’m sipping on a grande Pumpkin Spice Latte. 🙂