Peer Review of Vitamin K

To: Lea Ang Salamanca

From: Sidney Singh

Date: October 5, 2021

Subject: Peer review of the definition of Vitamin K

Dear Ms. Salamanca,

I have reviewed your definition of Vitamin K.  The definition is very engaging and informative. The use of multiple visuals enhanced my understanding of Vitamin K.

Missing Requirements: There was no reading context for the definition and therefore I was unsure if this definition was intended for someone with a background in health sciences.

Clarity: The methods of expansion used in this definition include: history, visuals, operating principle and required conditions. Overall, I found the expanded definition to be clear and concise. As mentioned earlier, I found the visuals to be very helpful. Below are a few suggestions to enhance clarity.

In paragraph one the opening sentences reads as follows, “Vitamin K was discovered in the 1920s when H.Dam, observed that chicks fed a cholesterol-free and low fat diet bled excessively, and their blood took a long time to clot. Upon discovering the missing vitamin, the Danish biochemist named it after the Danish word kogulation, which means coagulate.”

I was unclear whether, “the Danish biochemist,” referred to H. Dam or referred to a different individual. I would recommend revising the first sentence.  The first sentence could be rewritten as, “H.Dam a Danish biochemist discovered Vitamin K in the 1920s.”

For the parenthetical definition the term coagulation may be unfamiliar for those without a science background. I would recommend simplifying the parenthetical definition.  My suggested definition is; “Vitamin K (vitamin that supports blood clotting).

Formatting: The second image featuring a vegetable and bottles does not have a caption.  Image 1,3,4 and 5 all have captions. I recommend adding a caption to Image 2 for consistency.

For the parenthetical definition the word coagulation is written in blue.  I would suggest to rewrite the word coagulation in black.

It has been a pleasure peer reviewing your definition. I hope my suggestions are helpful. Please let me if you have any questions.

My Best Regards,

Sidney Singh