Revised Formal Report Proposal_CWSA

To: Dr. Erika Paterson

From: Sidney Singh

Date: October 15th, 2021

Subject: Proposal to Research Student Engagement in the Creative Writing Student Association.

I would like to conduct research on student engagement in the Creative Writing Student Association (CWSA). After conducting research, a casual report with recommendations will be produced for the Executive and Social Committee of CWSA. The goal will be to ensure positions in CWSA will be able to filled by new volunteers.

Background

The Creative Writing Student Association or CWSA is student run organization that represent students enrolled in various School of Creative Writing Programs. This includes creative writing BFA majors, both optional residency and on campus MFA students, and recently students pursuing Master of Children’s Literature (MACL).

Last year CWSA decided to revise the constitution in order to be more equitable and accessible to the student body. Previously members of the Executive Committee were expected to plan social events along with their required duties. CWSA created a separate Social Committee for informal parties and engagements. Another revision allowed students in the MACL (Master of Children’s Literature) to become members of CWSA. This year there are more opportunities and more students included in the CWSA membership.

Problems Identified

This year there has been some difficulty in securing students into CWSA volunteer and paid positions. This may be due to the lack of awareness of such opportunities or students are may be occupied with other duties.

CWSA is an organization for creative writing students to gain valuable volunteer experience while forming connections with their peers. The revisions expanded the scope of the opportunities available to non-Executive members. Students may not be aware of the opportunities CWSA provides or may have additional commitments outside of their schoolwork.

Proposed Plan

I would like to conduct thorough research on student engagement in the CWSA. Information concerning student engagement needs to collected in order to ensure CWSA will have volunteers in the future. It is necessary to understand the student’s perceptions of CWSA and what factors limit their participation in the student run organization.

This will include:

Primary Sources

• A survey on student knowledge of current student knowledge and awareness of CWSA
  • A survey on student time commitments both in and outside of class
  • Gathering feedback from students on what they would like to see from CWSA
  • A questionnaire on students’ social media preferences for engaging with CWSA

Secondary Sources

• Examining records of student engagement over previous years if available

I will put forward a report outlining my recommendations on how to increase student engagement. The recommendations will aim to be beneficial for the future CWSA chairs and members of the Executive and Social Committee.

Qualifications

I am the current CWSA Secretary and a member of the Executive Committee. Last year I wrote the meeting minutes during the revisions to the constitution. I am well acquainted with the current CWSA Interim Director and others members. During the AGM members expressed an urgent desire to increase student engagement to ensure the future of the organization.

Conclusion

My time as the CWSA Secretary has allowed me to develop important communication skills and given me invaluable time with my peers. CWSA offers a wide range of opportunities for students and they should not unnoticed.

One comment on “Revised Formal Report Proposal_CWSA
  1. erikapaterson says:

Hello Sydney,

Thank you for posting this proposal, this looks like a good idea for a Formal Report: both worthwhile and doable. You are good to begin designing your surveys, which I will approve when you submit your progress report. I look forward to learning more, enjoy your research.