Memo to Evan Crisp: Writing with a “You” Attitude

MEMORANDUM

To: Evan Crisp, Student at UBC
From: Phillip Tellier, Student of ENGL 301 at UBC
Date: November 7, 2021
Subject: How to Write with a “You” Attitude

Recently, you emailed a professor asking to be added to their full English class. It is unfortunate that you still have not received a response. In contrast, it is great that you understand it is always a good idea to reach out to a professor when help is needed with class related issues, but I have a few tips that will make your emails more persuasive.

Human beings are fundamentally focused on the self and therefore respond better when they can see how something will benefit them. If you write with a “you” attitude, focusing on reader benefit and making the reader feel important, then your writing will always be more persuasive. Specifically, it could help convince a professor to enroll you in a full class. Instead of writing that you need “any three credits” to graduate, and that the class was chosen because it fits into your schedule, I suggest trying to make the professor feel special. For example, you could write that the class is interesting because of the reputation of the professor. The reason for taking the class could also be rephrased to focus on reader benefit:
• Original: The 8:00 am section is way too early in the morning for me, so I refuse to take that one
• Suggested Edit: It’s far easier to interact with a class that is fully awake, if you add me to a section besides 8:00am I would be perkier and participate more.

Keeping these tips in mind is sure to get a positive response from your recipients. With a little luck you will get into a full course of your choosing as well.