3:1 Business Letters: Complaint and Bad News

Letter #1: Complaint Letter

Kitty Yan
2329 West Mall
Vancouver BC V6T 1Z4

November 11, 2021

John Smith
Customer Support Manager
Vessi Footwear Ltd.
1085 Homer Street
Vancouver BC V6B 2X5

Dear Mr. Smith:

Your company has a great reputation for creating a very innovative product that excels at keeping feet warm even in the most drastic of rainy weather. I have supported your company since the beginning, being one of the many backers of your Kickstarter campaign, but recent development has left me very disappointed in your service and quality.

On October 8th, I had ordered a pair of your Women’s Weekend in the colour Palm Green in size 9 for $178.91, and I received an email of confirmation 30 minutes later.

On October 22nd, as I had not received another notification of my shipment, I emailed your support team with the details of my payment and the confirmation email, and on October 25th, I received a reply from an employee, Dessi, who promised me that the shipment will go out by the end of the week.

On October 29th, I had still received no additional information about the shipment of my shoes, and I emailed your support team again, who replied and apologized that very same day. This time, another employee by the name of Sam said he will offer me a gift card of $125 for the missed order, and the pair of shoes will be shipped out by Monday, November 1st.

Indeed, I get a shipment confirmation that it is shipped out on November 1st, and on November 3rd, I received a pair of shoes that were not the colour Palm Green as I ordered and also without a gift card as attached, as mentioned by Sam.

I understand this is coming up upon a time of Thanksgiving and as a small company, your team may be swamped with requests and changes. Still, I am very disappointed at your support team’s service and failed promises, as well as for missing my order and then proceeding to be unable to fulfill my order correctly.

At this time, I only insist that I am refunded for the pair of shoes as they are not the colour I ordered. If needed, I have enclosed a printout of all the emails I exchanged with your support team as well as the receipt and confirmations.

I have always been supportive about your company since the beginning, and I have been able to receive great quality and service in previous purchases. I hope that beyond this, your company can still be a part of what I would love to support.

Please let me know the next steps or further needed information for the refund and return of the shoes.

Sincerely,

Kitty Yan

Enclosures: 1 payment receipt of initial purchase, 1 printout of email confirmation, 4 printouts of emails in contact with Vessi Support team

Letter #2: Bad News Adjustment Letter

John Smith
Vessi Footwear Ltd.
1085 Homer Street
Vancouver BC V6B 2X5

November 12, 2021

Ms. Kitty Yan
2329 West Mall
Vancouver BC V6T 1Z4

Dear Ms. Yan:

Thank you for your letter detailing your recent experience with our company. I am very grateful to hear that you were a support from when we were first starting out with the Kickstarter campaign and that you have enjoyed our products since then. I am however sincerely sorry to hear about what you had experienced over the past month regarding your order for one of our products, Women’s Weekend in the colour Palm Green and size 9.

Naturally, given your recent experience, I understand the frustration that may result from the miscommunication from our team as well as the delayed shipment. I have spoken to both Dessi and Sam, who both have confirmed with me the procedures they completed after their correspondence with you. From the date of your initial purchase, there was an issue with the system of our shipping provider that caused a miscommunication between them and our company. As a result, a few pallets of shipment orders were left unfulfilled which also caused the additional delay beyond the initial period between your purchase and contact with Dessi. At this time, we have made new arrangements with our shipping provider and their systems to make sure such an issue does not happen again, and we have also updated our own internal systems to highlight when there are significant delays or unfulfilled orders to prevent such issues in the future.

In regards to the gift card as promised by Sam for your inconvenience, all our gift cards are provided electronically through your email, and I have confirmed with Sam that the code was sent on October 29th. Nonetheless, I apologize for the miscommunication for this fact, and I have enclosed the gift certificate for the amount of $125 that corresponds to the code that was sent out on October 29th.

While a full refund of the $178.91 is not possible due to the use of a promotional code for the initial purchase, an additional pair of Women’s Weekend in the colour Palm Green or a gift certificate of $150 can be sent to any address provided. Please feel free to get in touch with either me or any of my support team to discuss your preferences, and we will be happy to support you in any way we can.

Thank you for your continuing support in our company, and I hope that our company may be able to continue to support you and your future needs in the rainy weather of Vancouver.

Sincerely,

John Smith
Customer Support Manager

Enclosure: $125 Gift Certificate for Vessi Footwear