Two most impressive Reflection Blogs

Here are examples of  most impressive Reflections Blogs:

There are a few typos and grammar errors, but nonetheless, I am impressed with the completeness and the details in this reflection, I can clearly see the work that has been accomplished in order to complete the Unit. One note, so far, none of the blogs I have read have considered the process of creating surveys and interview questions? And, as I say in my last blog, so many people neglected to compose proper introductions to their surveys or interview questions, despite the fact that the textbook is quite clear on the necessity to introduce your surveys.

UNIT 2 Reflections

In Unit 2, we began our formal report with a research proposal, outline, and progress report. In addition, we had the opportunity to set up a LinkedIn profile and connect with our peers to review and provide constructive criticism in terms of ways to improve their online professional profile. There was a steep learning curve involved, as I have never created a research report outside of scientific academia that is targeted towards an audience to address and provide recommendations for a real life problem. However, unit 2 was broken down into pieces that assisted in establishing a backbone for our research formal report. The formal report proposal was written in a professional tone towards an audience in a public place setting whereby we can investigate and provide recommendations for a problem or deficiency.

The peer review edit was very helpful as it helped me find some minor grammatical errors and redefine my purpose. After rereading my proposal, I realized the only clear problem I stated was in my first sentence “[T]here has been an increase in demand for Junior Achievement business programs from schools more so than the current supply of volunteers…” but I don’t explicitly state the purpose of my research proposal. As Julianne recommends me to redefine my purpose in the proposed solution category, I realized that I should clearly state that the purpose of my research proposal is to increase the number of volunteers at Junior Achievement through finding efficient ways to promote volunteer opportunities for students at UBC.

When peer reviewing Julianne’s research proposal, I was again able to learn a lot from her concise and methodical way of writing. Julianne’s writing is very well organized and I appreciate how concise she is. For example, in her methods section instead of restating the scope questions she simply refers back to them as “For questions 1 and 2…” making her sentences much shorter.

For the LinkedIn profile assignment, it was my first time creating an online profile and utilizing LinkedIn for professional networking. The assignment exposed myself to the enormity of users on LinkedIn and allowed me to realize the significance of having an online formal profile. Robele’s peer review was incredibly helpful because it made me realize that my online profile was lacking certain important elements such as a profile photo, technical skills, and a short concise summary. Initially my summary resembled a cover letter but after researching ten best LinkedIn practices I realized that I had to break down my summary with a short introduction and include my strengths validated with problem, action, and result (PAR) statements.

In addition, after reading through professor Paterson’s profile, I recognized how unique it was because she differentiated herself with visual elements like videos, documents, and pictures. In terms of creating a peer review template, it exposed myself to the importance of organization and visuals. Initially one aspect I found difficult with peer reviews is that I don’t know if I’ve addressed every single point in a clear and concise manner. However, the template peer review allowed our critique to be more organized and objective. As Professor Paterson emphasized, page design and document are as important as text.

Prior to completing my template I perused through the group forum and immediately noticed some stylized and unique peer review templates. Two templates that immediately stood out to me were the ESL Boys logo and Paul Sullivan’s colorful visual peer review template. Therefore, I utilized a personalized logo for our team Professional Banters and used different fonts. The template also provided direction for my peer review that forced my to answer questions I typically forget to answer. For example, one aspect I noticed in Robele’s LinkedIn profile was his summary was too short. However, in my peer review template I addressed why it was too short, what elements were missing, and how he could improve on that element. Likewise, if a certain element of Robele’s profile was amazing, I addressed why it was impressive.

Lastly, the memorandums we wrote in Unit two was good practice as the feedback I received in Unit 1 was that my memorandums were written incorrectly. This time around, I included initials and avoided salutations. In addition, the outline and progress report have been instrumental in clearly setting up a backbone for what needs to be completed when. As the semester gets busier I will definitely utilize my progress report and outline for keep up with the schedule.

Overall, unit 2 was a steep learning curve but it has also created a foundational basis for starting our formal report. In addition, the peer reviews we’ve conducted and received have been great practice in terms of exposing the strengths and weaknesses of everyone’s documents. The most helpful feedback I’ve provided in my peer reviews is addressing areas of improvement. When conducting Robele’s LinkedIn peer review, I browsed through several popular profiles of career coaches and recommended expansions to his profile based on what others have. The most helpful feedback I’ve received has been recognizing areas of my writing where I’m far too wordy and unclear. Peer reviews have positively impacted my writing because it points of weaknesses, allowing me to revise, reflect, and rewrite.

______________________________

UNIT TWO REFLECTION

In Unit Two, we started the process of creating The Formal Report and The Application package. First, we made a Proposal for our Formal Report, which required us to do a brainstorming exercise and practice writing in a research proposal format. Then, we were asked to peer review a partner’s research proposal. Our next assignment was to set up a LinkedIn Profile for The Application package. Also, we reviewed a partner’s profile using a LinkedIn Peer Review Form that we were asked to generate. Following, we prepared a memo for our fellow professional writing team members regarding LinkedIn Best Practices. Finally, we produced a Formal Report Outline in the form of an email memo for Dr. Paterson detailing the progress on our Formal Report.

The most challenging aspect of preparing the Proposal for the Formal Report was the brainstorming activity for thinking of an investigational topic. Thinking of an interesting investigation topic that would lend itself well to the Formal Report is really important. I found that writing the Proposal was relatively simple once I selected my topic (Improving Patient Experience at BCCA-VCC). In generating the Formal Report Proposal, I found learning how to properly format a research proposal most helpful. From the review that I received from Vincent, I realized that it would be more effective if I focus most of my energy on interviewing volunteers, rather than observing patient behaviour myself.

I had the opportunity to review Vincent’s Formal Report Proposal. I learned from my Unit One experience that having a peer review outline prior to reviewing makes the process more productive and efficient. So, I made a peer review outline for research proposals prior to reading Vincent’s Proposal. During the review, I was very keen on making sure his investigational topic is going to lend itself well to the Formal Report. Also, I paid extra attention to the tone used throughout the document, keeping in mind the intended audience. I learned that a research proposals intended to make recommendations to solve a problem should have a tone that remains respectful, but imperative.

Setting up a LinkedIn Profile was the first task in making The Application package. I constructed most of my LinkedIn Profile as I would my CV. However, I took advantage of the Summary section to try to convey some of my personality and professional interests. I really want my personality to come through, because I realize my experience may still be lacking. Colby reviewed my Profile and indicated that I should provide more detail on some of my work experiences. Also, he suggest taking advantage of the multimedia options on LinkedIn.

I had the opportunity to review Colby’s LinkedIn Profile. Prior to reviewing his Profile, we were asked to make a LinkedIn Peer Review Form. I found this task to be the most time consuming, because it required me to conduct research on the components of an outstanding LinkedIn Profile. However, with the Peer Review Form I prepared, the actual review process was much more efficient. I found Colby’s profile to be very well developed and included a lot of information regarding his various experiences. In particular, I was impressed with his use of multimedia in his work experience section. I eventually hope to make my Profile appear as professional and complete as Colby’s.

In this Unit, we were required to prepare several memos, including one concerning the Best LinkedIn Practices. This assignment required us to conduct our own research and make a list of the ten best practices for using LinkedIn as a networking tool. I found this activity most helpful as I learned a lot about LinkedIn when I conducted my research. In particular, I learned that taking advantage of groups could be very helpful to make new professional connections.

Finally, we were asked to make a Formal Report Outline in the form of a memo. Just like with every other technical writing activity, it is very important to keep the audience in mind during the writing process. So, we were asked to describe the audience for our report in this outline. Also, for this assignment, we had to think more carefully on how exactly we will be collecting the data used in our Formal Report. I made a list of questions I will use during interviews with my fellow Volunteers. Each of these questions were carefully considered because the answers will greatly affect any recommendations I may make in the Formal Report. Furthermore, I am finding that all the practice generating memos is turning out to be very useful. I would feel comfortable preparing memos with proper tone and format in the workplace already.

I am finding that generating and receiving Peer Reviews to be most beneficial in my development as a technical writer.  By conducting reviews, we are required to be considerate of audience, conduct adequate background research, and write in a clear and concise manner.  These are all skills that must be practiced when generating any technical document.  Overall, I found Unit Two a lot more challenging than Unit One. It contributed even more to my development as a technical writer. I look forward to learning even more in Unit Three.