Peer Review for Aya’s Definitions Assignment (Updated)

Name of the Reviewer: Mahsa Ehtemam

Author’s Name: Aya Makhambetova

Title of the Expanded Definition: Differential Equation

Dear Aya,

I have conducted a peer review for your definitions assignment on the term “derivative.” Below are some comments I have about the audience your definition is addressed to, additional ways to define your terms, and the strengths of your assignment.

Intended Audience

The definition was explained very well for someone that know the definition of mathematic terms. The writing was done well and was clear and concise, with good examples and choices of expansion methods. Although there is enough information about the meaning, it requires the audience to have a slight mathematical background. For those with this mathematical understanding, the definitions were very informative and explained the term in multiple ways. To address a more general audience, I suggest small revisions to for people that do not know other mathematic terms as well.

Expansion Strategies

I would suggest using visuals of graphs to show what a derivate means, using definitions such as area under the graph. The physics equation was a good example but may have been to heavy and technical for a general audience. Having additional hard terms, although irrelevant to the definition of the term of choice, may confuse readers.

Strengths

Overall it was well written, concise and informative. The term was explained well in multiple ways, so those who did not understand it with one expansion could use supplementary information from another part to fill in any gaps. I like how you kept it simple, which I believe is the best method of defining something. Great, clean choice of words and sentences.

It was a pleasure to be able to peer review your assignment. I hope these suggestions are helpful and prove to be useful. If you have any questions or concerns in regard to my peer review, please do not hesitate to contact me.