Complaint Letter – Erica Friedman

Erica Friedman
Shaul Hamelech 15
Tel Aviv, Israel 64367
Phone: +972-53-224-7768
Email: erica@ubc.alumni.edu

March 9th, 2019

easyJet Airline Company Ltd.
Hangar 89, London Luton Airport
Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 9PF
United Kingdom

Attention: Customer Complaints Department
Subject: Disappointing Boarding Service at Luton

easyJet is known as one of Europe’s leading low-cost airlines. In recent years, my family has flown easyJet on numerous occasions; we were always very pleased with the service. Unfortunately, our experience with a recent flight left us shocked and disappointed.

We were scheduled to fly on February 4th, 2019 (flight U2 2085) from London’s Luton Airport to Israel’s Ben Gurion Airport. Me, my husband, and our three children (ages 3-10), arrived three hours before the flight, checked-in, and passed security. When the gate opened, we quickly arrived at the gate to find a very long line-up. When we arrived at the front of the line, we, along with other passengers, were told by an easyJet representative that we were unable to bring any carry-on bags on the flight. We each had one carry-on, well within easyJet’s specified dimensions. When we asked for an explanation, we were told in an unfriendly and curt tone that there was no room, and that “if you have a problem, you don’t have to board the plane”.

We were then told that easyJet doesn’t guarantee carry-ons and that next time, “you should check the small print”. One easyJet employee even said, “If you have a problem, you shouldn’t fly low cost airlines. That’s why I don’t fly easyJet”. I told her that I was surprised that she was speaking to us in this way, she responded that she doesn’t “get paid enough for this” and “I can kick you off the plane”. She then ‘punished us’ by making us wait until everyone else boarded the plane. Our three children stood crying at the side until a grounds crew person said “get moving, or you wouldn’t be getting on the plane”.

Weeks later, we remain extremely upset and shocked. easyJet’s website does not state any policy about not guaranteeing carry-ons. In fact, the policy is “if you would like to avoid having your bag checked in the event there is no space in the overhead bins, the maximum size should be reduced to 50 x 40 x 20 cm”. Two of our bags would have met this specification.

I recommend clarifying your carry-on luggage policy with your boarding and check-in staff; and, clearly posting this policy for customers on your website, at check-in, and by the line-up to board the flight.

On past easyJet flights, we have checked some of our carry-ons during check-in, happily paying the extra fees. This service is not available at Luton, where check-in is fully automated. Nor is there anyone checking that passengers are abiding by carry-on limits. The addition of this service, that is available at all other airports where we have flown easyJet, would minimalize overhead bin crowding, and greatly increase customer comfort and satisfaction.

In a competitive market, customer satisfaction is of utmost importance. easyJet representatives should be equipped to communicate company policy in a friendly and courteous manner. We have enjoyed flying easyJet on previous occasions. We hope that easyJet will show us that we are valued customers by offering a 20% discount on our next flight to the United Kingdom.
I would appreciate a response by the end of this month.

Yours truly,

Erica Friedman

Life-long learner, mother of 3, working in the nonprofit sector for many years (with a hiatus as a yoga instructor). Originally from Toronto, like many of my peers at the time, I migrated to Vancouver (and UBC) in the 1990's. (Yes. I'm an Oldie.) 18 years ago, I set off on what was supposed to be a one-year journey to Asia and well, I guess I'm still on that journey. I live in Tel Aviv, Israel with my husband (he's British), our children, and a frisky cat named Mitzi.