LinkedIn Peer Review: an example

Here is a pdf file of an excellent example of a LinkedIN peer review: LinkedIn peer review example

_______________________

ENGL 301: LinkedIn Peer Review Form

Date: 2015-06-12

Peer Reviewer: xxxxx

Author: xxxxx

LinkedIn URL: https://ca.linkedin.xxxxx

Hello xxx,

Thank you for submitting your LinkedIn profile for my review, I have some comments and suggestions for you which I hope you will find useful for improving your profile.

First Impressions

My first impression of your profile page was largely positive. First, you have a nice number of connections (79 at the time of this review), which is excellent because this can suggest to recruiters and viewers that you are social and personable. Using a custom URL for your profile was also a nice touch as it removes the clutter of random numbers that LinkedIn assigns to you by default. You say you “have been exposed to several programming languages” in your summary, I think you should also include the name of these languages because recruiters search using key words.

Profile Photo

In terms of your profile picture, it is quite personable but I would suggest that you choose something a little more professional; perhaps enlarge the profile photo to include your shirt collar. This photo is just a little too close-up on your face, but great smile.

Title Box

Recruiting professionals most commonly uses your current title box. For this reason, your title of “Student” may not be sufficient. I would suggest adding a dummy title that includes the job title(s) that you are targeting. One example is “Full-Time Student/ Java Developer.”

Effectiveness of the Summary

Your summary is very brief and could use some work in capturing your professional personality and making you stand out from the crowd. You chose a first person narrative, which is recommended on LinkedIn summaries; however, you do not go into much detail. I suggest you try adding some more personality and produce a summary that captures who you are, what you are doing and what you want from your career. Focus on your values and passions and feel free to delve into interests outside of school and work as well.

Note: you write: Through a multitude of projects at school and work, I have been exposed to several programming languages. However, you have not listed any projects, and I think you should name those languages because keywords are so important with LinkedIn profiles.

Experience and Achievements

Your work experience and studies highlight some of your technical proficiencies. Naming specific platforms and frameworks, such as Jenkins, Gerrit, and JIRA was good, and could attract recruiters who are searching for specific skills. However, you could make a stronger effort to highlight specific accomplishments and achievements and therefore market yourself as a high performer. For example, instead of saying that you used these platforms to “develop ruby scripts for internal use,” you could be more specific about how you helped and whom you helped. The textbook offers good advice on how to be specific about the benefits your accomplishments.

Volunteer Experience

If you have any volunteer experiences, or interests such as additional languages, I would suggest that you add them onto your profile page.

Education and Courses

I think you should list your courses in numerical order, and only include the courses that are relevant to your career objectives. I am wondering why you have listed the same courses twice?

Skills

This is, of course, an important section for aspiring programmers and software developers and accordingly you should list as many keyword skills as possible, and work continuously to increase your endorsements. Some research suggests that for computer software developers the ‘Skills’ list should come right after the summary.

Connections

You have an impressive number of connections – which you should use for references. I suggest you ask your connections with credentials to write you a brief LinkedIn reference.

I also encourage you to join and follow a few more relevant associations and groups, the notifications you receive will keep you up to date and well informed on the job market.

Grammatical and Expression

Your writing generally flows well and is concise. There are no glaring grammatical errors — though in your work experience description for Tasktop, “Managed and Configured” should be “Managed and configured” to be consistent.

Here are a couple of sentences you might want to consider rephrasing with my suggestions:

Through a multitude of projects at school and work, I have been exposed to several programming languages.

Rewrite: My experience with a multitude of projects, both academic and professional, has included gaining expertise in several programming languages: list languages here.

Conclusion

You have a good beginning for an excellent profile page and I feel that with a few tweaks and some additions, you are well on your way.

To summarize for you here is a list of my suggested improvements:

• Improve your profile photo
  • Change your title
  • Rewrite your summary with a focus on highlighting your personality and listing keywords for recruiters
  • Be specific about the benefits of your accomplishments. For example,
    • Wrote new documentation for numerous procedures and processes”
    • Rewrite: – created new documentation for numerous procedures and processes that resulted in increased efficiency and less errors.
  • Include volunteer activities
  • List courses numerically and delete repetition
  • Increase your use of keywords for search engines
  • Solicit references
  • Continue to join relevant groups and follow associations
  • Consider rephrasing some sentences in an effort to increase details and clarity.

I have enjoyed my read and I hope my suggestions are helpful. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thank you xxxxxx