Assignment 2:1 – Formal Report Proposal Email Memorandum – Dakota Tryhuba

MEMORANDUM

To: Dr. Erika Paterson

From: Dakota Tryhuba

Date: February 1, 2019

Subject: Research Proposal

As requested, I have posted my research proposal to my team forum “Write as Rain” and have attached a copy of my proposal to this message.

My research proposal is to assume that I am an advisor to the city council for the City of Montréal. I have been asked to research the controversy of heat waves and the urban heat island effect in Montréal and develop a short report on the issue that provides some recommendations for the city council to review. In my report, I will outline the following:

1. I will first describe the issue and its relationship to the city. I will briefly describe the aspects of the city that are relevant to my issue (e.g., population, industrial history, cultural history, socioeconomic profile, environmental context, etc.) and outline what makes this issue contentious (1–2 pages).
  2. I will then describe the problem I am addressing and identify the actors involved and the various views expressed about the issue in question.
  3. Then I will consider what interests may be missing from the debate and therefore missing from the news or published reports.
  4. Finally, I will recommend and justify a course of action to the city council.

The full proposal is attached and has been posted on my Team Forum page. Any feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns regarding my proposal.

Dakota Tryhuba – Research Proposal