Assignment 4:3 – Web Folio

To: Dr. Erika Paterson & The TechniWriters
From: Samuel Kobierski
Date: April 15, 2019
Subject: English 301 Web Folio

To Whom It May Concern,

This post is the culmination of my efforts in the course, English 301 – Technical Writing, where I present my best works from the past months. English 301 is a four-month technical writing course that is completed entirely online in a collaborative learning environment where we work alongside our peers in teams, providing and receiving feedback on our writing.

Below, I have provided a sampling from each of the four units of the course.

Unit 1 – Introductions, Definitions, & Peer Reviews

Lesson 1:3 taught me to appreciate the importance and role of definitions, understand how audience and purpose indicate the need for definition, differentiate between different levels of definition and to select the right level of detail according to the situation.

1:3 – Definitions

Unit 2 – Strategies for Formal Reports & Application Packages

The main component of this course is the writing of a formal report that presents a proposal. This consists of identifying the audience for the report, defining a purpose for the report, formulating data gathering strategies, and presenting the proposed solution.

301 Samuel Kobierski Formal Report Progress Memo
301 Samuel Kobierski Formal Report Proposal

Lesson 2:2 was an exercise in designing a peer review template for a LinkedIn profile and using it to provide my peer with a review of their LinkedIn profile using our newly created template.

2:2 – LinkedIn Profile Peer Review Navy Vo

Unit 3 – Writing Strategies & Drafting Formal Reports

Lesson 1:3 was an exercise in composing a complaint letter based on a real-life experience involving an error on a bill, rude service, mistake in delivery, or the poor quality of some product. I chose to detail the experience I recently had at London Drugs, where I experienced rude service and was charged a fee that I disagreed with. This complaint letter was written in a manner that persuades the intended audience to respond in a certain manner.

3:1 – Business Letters. Complaint & Bad News Letter

Lesson 3:3 was the peer review of a teammates formal report draft. The purpose was to give my colleague constructive and balanced feedback, employing You attitude throughout.

3:3 – Formal Report Draft – Peer Review

Unit 4 – Drafting & Completing  Major Assignments

Lesson 4:1 was the peer review of my teammate’s application package, where we were tasked to provide both positive highlights and negative weaknesses’ of their application package under a few main categories.

4:1 – Application Package Rough Draft – Peer Review

Thanks,

Samuel Kobierski