Leif Jack’s Progress Report

To: Erika Paterson, Professor

From: Leif Jack, Student

Date: June 22nd, 2022

Subject: Progress on Formal Report

Hello Dr. Paterson,

This memo will briefly detail the progress on my formal report into solutions for managing Kelowna’s Mission Creek when it has a high water level. Specifically, I will discuss my report’s audience, purpose, and significance, as well as my research plan and writing schedule.

Concerning audience, the report’s final draft will be addressed to Colin Basran, Kelowna’s current mayor, as my report examines an issue specifically occurring within Kelowna. Mayor Basran also serves on the board of directors of the Regional District of Central Okanagan, putting him in an excellent position to advocate for my proposed solutions as local civic leader and someone connected to larger regional planning and regulation.

Going into more detail about the purpose and significance of my report, my goal is to compare the feasibility of heightening Mission Creek’s walkways with installing water pumps along the creek, both as methods to prevent flooding when Mission Creek has a high water level. With the report, I also plan to collect survey data from Kelowna residents on the popularity and urgency of these proposals. This information is important to investigate, as in recent years Kelowna has been experiencing high variations in rainfall and temperature, with some months much dryer than average and other wetter, putting the city at increased risk of droughts or floods.

Below is my research plan for the project:

• Research Kelowna’s climate projections in terms of rainfall and temperature, or regional climate projections from academic articles or government agencies
  • Investigate urban planning principles behind where and when dikes and water pumps are needed
  • Research price range for installing and maintaining water pumps from other cities’ financial reports and commercial websites
  • Survey Kelowna resident’s to determine proposed solutions’ popularity and perceived urgency

Likewise, here is a brief overview of my writing schedule:

July 12th: Latest Date to start work on Formal Report Draft

July 12th-22nd (11 days): For the first 1-3 days of this period I will conduct my research and collect the information into a word document. Within this period, I will also begin surveying as many Kelowna resident’s as possible when I am not working. The 12th and 19th are when I will do most surveying. During this period, I will aim to complete at least half of the planned sections of my report, but the more the better, as I that will maximize my peer’s review.

July 22nd: Formal Report Draft Due

July 27th: Peer Review of Report received

July 23rd-Aug 2nd (11 days): All research will be completed and the rest of the report will be completed. Upon receiving, my peer review, I will spend the 28th and 29th editing according to my peer’s comments, and then the 30th to August 2nd finishing the report.

Aug 2nd: Final Draft of Formal Report Due

Lastly, as requested, attached below is a Word document with the questions I plan to use on my survey. The document also contains an introduction for survey participants that discuses my project and the survey’s anonymity.

Please let me know if there are any issues accessing the survey questions or missing details. I look forward to hearing from you.

Encl.

Survey Questions