Best Work

English 301 98A is an online technical writing course taught at the University of British Columbia by Dr. Erika Paterson. This course allows students to work independently and collaboratively with peers. The course is divided into four units with assignments due throughout the term. Unit one focuses on two key aspects, firstly, building a connection with the other students and the professor. Secondly, the material focuses on the principles and practices of technical writing. Unit two focuses on designing a report proposal and unit three focuses on resume building and job applications. Unit four elaborates on networking strategies and finalizing the formal report. Throughout the course, students actively participated in online discussions and peer reviews of assignments as well as created professional business profiles.

Upon completion of this course, I have developed valuable technical writing skills shaped towards building a professional network while optimizing self-editing techniques and peer collaboration. This page is dedicated to the best work I have created throughout English 301.

The following assignments are enclosed below: defining a technical term, peer-review of a technical term, formal report proposal, progress report enclosed with survey and interview questions, complaint and response letters, and a peer review of an application package and formal report.

Unit One: Definition Assignment

Assignment 1.3 consisted of each student choosing a technical term and writing three definitions of that term: a parenthetical definition, a sentence definition, and an expanded definition. For this assignment, I chose to define Hydrocephalus.

Please follow the link below to view my revised definition assignment.

Assignment 1.3 Definition

In collaboration with assignment 1.3, a peer-review of the technical term was required. I had the pleasure of working with my peer, Alison Ma. The process of peer-reviewing allowed me to understand a new term, Purchasing Power Parity, and I was able to offer recommendations to enhance Alison’s assignment. I provided suggestions regarding the organization, the audience, and the purpose of defining a technical term for non-technical readers.

Please click the link below to access my peer-review for the definition Purchasing Power Parity.

Peer-Review Definition Assignment

Unit Two: Formal Report Proposal

For the formal report, I decided to choose a topic related to my career of interest. My proposal pertains to allowing out of province residents to be able to attend the Ontario Veterinary College by increasing the seat quota for provinces outside of Ontario. Being a BC resident, I believe there is a need for change to allow more opportunities for university students to become successful in their chosen career path.

I have revised my proposal to include the necessary information:

• History and background information concerning residents in Canada.
  • A description of the main issue at hand.
  • My proposed solution to the issue at hand.
  • The scope of the proposed study.
  • The methods required for the study and review of primary and secondary sources acquired.
  • My qualifications and experience within the field.

Please follow the link below to access my revised formal report proposal.

Formal Report Proposal

My progress report contains details regarding the audience of the report, the purpose of the report, the significance of the report, my research plan and a writing schedule.

Please click on the link below to review my progress report enclosed with links to the interview and survey questions.

Progress Report

Unit Three: Complaint and Response Letters

When writing the complaint and response letter, I learned how to effectively write and respond to professional business letters while either fulfilling or denying a request with a positive and respectful tone. Writing these letters has allowed me to effectively use YOU-attitude.

I encourage you to review the link below to access my complaint and response letter.

Complaint and Response Letter

Unit Four: Application Package and Formal Report

Upon completion of the formal report, it was essential to pair up with a partner and provide a review of each other’s work. The peer-review for this assignment allowed students to incorporate effective use of YOU-attitude, eliminating pronouns and grammatical errors, reviewing survey and interview questions, and providing recommendations to enhance the report.

Please access the link below to read my peer review for my peer’s work- Determining Feasibility of Healthy Hospital Food in Canada.

Peer-Review Formal Report

The application package consisted of constructing and revising resumes, cover letters, and requests for references. The application package was a major assignment for ENGL 301. Students must incorporate effective use of YOU-attitude, providing a professional tone throughout all documents, and organization and formatting must meet the given criteria. Peer-reviewing was an essential component of this assignment. I was able to reflect on the effective use of YOU-attitude throughout my peer-review process and was able to apply my technical writing techniques in a respectful tone to enhance my peer’s application package.

Please click on the link below to access my peer-review for the Application Package assignment.

Peer-Review Application Package

Formal Report

The formal report was an intensive writing assignment. Drafting the formal report consisted of proposals, outlines, surveys, interviews, and peer-reviews. Students were able to choose a topic of their interest, with approval from Dr. Erika Paterson.

As an active student looking to pursue a career in veterinary medicine, I strongly believe change is needed to allow more seats for residents residing in Canada to attend one of the five veterinary schools in Canada. I urge you to review my formal report as many students, particularly BC residents will benefit if the proposal is successful.

Please click on the link below to access my formal report ‘Proposal to Increase Out of Province Seats to the Ontario Veterinary College’.

Formal Report