Assignment 1:1

Hello! Welcome to my blog dedicated to English 470a.

My name is Amelia and I am currently a fourth year student studying Computer Science at UBC. In taking this course I am admittedly delving into unfamiliar territory: not only has it been a while since I’ve taken a literature course, I also have a lot to learn about Canada’s history and colonization. However, I hope to challenge myself and further improve my knowledge on these topics as I am keen to learn more about the country that I have spent most of my life in, through the voices of talented authors.

Despite being Canadian, I have oftentimes found myself slightly confused as to what being Canadian truly means. One of the things that I have long associated Canadians with is the vibrant multiculturalism and welcoming culture reflected in movies and the general worldwide reputation for Canadians being “nice.” Although I strongly believe that the two points listed above are not devoid of truth, I am sure that Canada has much more to offer than that.

As Professor Paterson briefly stated about Engl 470a, this course aims to provide us with a scholarly study of Canadian literature and history, with a focus on the intersections and departures between European and Indigenous traditions of literature and orator. In short, through this course, I will have the opportunity to examine what being in Canada and being Canadian means to many different people, and thus through this I hope to finally determine exactly what it truly means to me.

Works Cited:

“First Major Poll of 2016 Puts Canada As #2 Country in the World to Live.”Notableca. N.p., 20 Jan. 2016. Web. 13 May 2016.

“Canadian Multiculturalism: An Inclusive Citizenship.” Government of Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Communications Branch. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 May 2016.

“What Canada Means to Me.” Government of Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Communications Branch. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 May 2016.

4 Thoughts.

1. Hello Amelia!
    Similar to you, I have also always associated Canada with politeness and multiculturalism. As you point out, Canada has much more to offer than that, but it makes me wonder what the world truly thinks Canada has to offer. When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was running, most non-Canadian media outlets focused on his physical attractiveness and not his political objectives. In 2015, Vogue magazine named him one of its top 10 unconventional alternatives to the sexiest man alive whereas the Conservative’s used Trudeau’s hair as a reason for him being an unfit candidate. I wonder to what extent reporting on PM Trudeau’s physical attractiveness has done to Canada’s reputation. Surely, it has not changed our perceived kindness and welcoming nature, but I am curious if it has delegitimized Canada as a serious political nation.
    Okwodu, Janelle. “10 Unconventional Alternatives to the Sexiest Man Alive.” Vogue. November 22, 2015. Web. 17 May 2016. (http://www.vogue.com/13372492/sexiest-man-alive-unconventionally-sexy-men/)
    Siekierski, BJ. “Conservatives’ new anti-Trudeau attack ad reboots an old NDP ad.” iPolitics. May 25, 2015. Web. 17 May 2016. (http://ipolitics.ca/2015/05/25/conservatives-new-anti-trudeau-attack-ad-reboots-an-old-ndp-ad/)

• Hi Samantha!

Thanks a lot for reading! I definitely agree with you that Canada has much more to offer, and can relate fully in wondering how PM Trudeau’s physical attractiveness has and will impact Canada’s reputation, both nationally and internationally. I believe that only time can tell, and I look forward to observing this issue more closely as time goes by. Thank you for all your thoughts and input!

2. Hi Amelia,

Nice to meet you! Like you, I am also really looking forward to expanding my own understanding of the country we live in.

I like that you made the point about your knowledge of Canada being shaped by films. I think that’s similar to what this course will do, but from an insider’s perspective instead of an outsider’s stereotype. In my weak understanding of Canadian identity now, it seems like our identity is shaped by what we’re not. We’re not American, we’re not extremist, ect. I agree with you that I’m excited to learn what being in Canada and being Canadian means to many different people, and the best way to do that is by reading their stories.

This whole idea of Canadian identity reminds me of this old cartoon: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming/article8182797.ece/BINARY/w620/tueedcar05co1.jpg

What’s odd to me in this comic is that aside from the flag and a bit of snow – what is Canadian about it, anyway?

• Hi Ashley,

You make a very interesting point about how Canada’s identity is shaped by what we’re not. I haven’t thought of it from that perspective before, but it definitely is food for thought! I’m very much looking forward to learning more of the insider’s perspective on this topic and I wholeheartedly agree that the best way to do this is to read the stories of these people. Thank you for your thoughtful comments!