Assignment 3:2 – Coleman and the Canadian Multiculturalism Act

Canada-Multiculturalism

2. In this lesson I say that it should be clear that the discourse on nationalism is also about ethnicity and ideologies of “race.” If you trace the historical overview of nationalism in Canada in the CanLitguide, you will find many examples of state legislation and policies that excluded and discriminated against certain peoples based on ideas about racial inferiority and capacities to assimilate. – and in turn, state legislation and policies that worked to try to rectify early policies of exclusion and racial discrimination. As the guide points out, the nation is an imagined community, whereas the state is a “governed group of people.” For this blog assignment, I would like you to research and summarize one of the state or governing activities, such as The Royal Proclamation 1763, the Indian Act 1876, Immigration Act 1910, or the Multiculturalism Act 1989 – you choose the legislation or policy or commission you find most interesting. Write a blog about your findings and in your conclusion comment on whether or not your findings support Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility.

Coleman noted, in his writing in White Civility: The Literary Project of English Canada, that from the very beginning, there has existed a “literary endeavor” to “formulate and elaborate a specific form of whiteness based on the British model of civility.” This notion of thinking, however, was slowly countered upon the introduction of multiple acts that were passed during that period of time promoting immigration, wider cultural acceptance, and multiculturalism. One of these was the Canadian Multiculturalism Act, passed in 1988, recognized multiculturalism under section 27 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Canada was essentially one of the first countries to adopt such a policy, which not only catapulted Canada into a greater, more accepting culture overall but also allowed significantly more freedom and tolerance especially regarding the Aboriginal people. The policy ensured that Aboriginal rights would be respected, and called for equality to be given to every person who lived in Canada.

One of the most notable things regarding the Canadian Multiculturalism Act was that it allowed citizens to openly practice their religion without the fear of being persecuted. This is now one of the key factors and facets of Canada’s identity toward the rest of the world: the willingness and openness to accept all individuals regardless of their religion or race. As a result of this Act, much of Canadian law today is reflective of this multiculturalism that was first spoken of in 1988. The Act itself includes two fundamental principles:

1. All citizens are equal and have the freedom to preserve, enhance and share their cultural heritage.
  2. Multiculturalism promotes the full and equitable participation of individuals and communities of all origins in all aspects of Canadian society.

The Canadian Multiculturalism Act in essence respected that everyone in Canada should be considered as equals regardless of race or the culture that they may have grown up in. This contrasts largely with Coleman’s initial statement of how the fictive white and civil Canadian ethnicity forms the building blocks of Canadian identity is a skewed perception of people occupying the Canadian land. Ultimately, the Canadian Multiculturalism Act is not solely about promoting a culture of white civility. It is trying to emphasize that Canadian culture is not simply about a single color or race, but rather a culture of inclusion and Multiculturalism – something that is unique only to Canada and the various diversities in the people living in the country, even today.

“Language Selection – Justice Laws Website / Sélection De La Langue – Site Web De La Législation (Justice).” Justice Laws Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 July 2016.

Parole Board of Canada (November 4, 2008). “The Canadian Multiculturalism Act”. Government of Canada. 9 July 2016.

3 Thoughts.

1. Hi Amelia,
    I think you’re one of very few people who looked at this Act for this assignment, so it was refreshing to read about something different – thanks!
    Am I right in reading your opinion as wholeheartedly positive towards the Act? While I agree that the Act represents a positive departure from the assimilationist days of Duncan Campbell Scott, I’m not sure how successful the implementation of the Act has been. I see the funding of more culturally-diverse festivals, the protection of the Rights of minorities and multi-cultural education in my son’s school, but I also see the government’s insistence on English or French language proficiency for immigration as a barrier to many. How successfully do you think the Multiculturalism Act has been implemented? And if you came across any specific effects of the Act on First Nations, I’d be very interested in learning about it. Thanks! ~ Claudia

• Hi Claudia,

Thank you for your comment! I definitely see the point you are making here: you are right, my opinion of the Act is quite positive in that I agree with the vision and purpose of it. Practically, however, I think that there is much more that can be done to achieve the vision that the Act itself is seeking. I believe it is important to embrace multiculturalism and allow those in society to be able to freely share their own traditions with each other. Regarding the government’s insistence on French or English proficiency for immigration, it makes sense to me in that the government is trying to preserve the two official languages of Canada, and I believe that immigrants should have the opportunity to learn and partake in the things that are essentially the core, as I see it, of the country that they will be living in as well. Multiculturalism, after all, is something that needs openness from everyone: the essence of it is that everyone should be open and accepting of each other’s cultures.

According to a report done in 2007-2008 by the Canadian government on the effect that the Act has had on the population of Canada, they found that “the past decade has seen a significant increase in the number of people who identified themselves as Aboriginal.” I can only imagine that this number will likely increase in the future. Here is the link to that study: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/PUBLICATIONS/multi-report2008/part1.asp

Thank you for your response!

2. Hi Amelia,
    Thanks for the extra info – very interesting that the population of First Nations is growing due to an increase in self-identification! That’s awesome! I recently met a woman in who identified as First Nations, but she had been adopted in the ’60s, so had no paper trail to prove her claim, and she felt this was an additional burden, understandably. What I thought was really interesting though, is that she said there were a great number of First Nations babies put up for adoption at that time, as a result of un-wed mothers in the residential schools being forced to give up their babies for adoption. Given this background info, I can imagine there could be lot more people who only now feel safe or comfortable enough to identify as First Nations. I also met another woman who only found out she was First Nations in her teens because her father thought it would be a disadvantage to her and her siblings; he had told them they were Italian…it almost seems like there is a ‘coming out’ aspect to the increased numbers of people identifying as First Nations. I also wonder that Canada continues to promote the idea of two founding nations (French and English) when clearly, First Nations should be recognized as such. I’d love to hear your thoughts. Cheers, Claudia