6 Comments

1. Hello Bea,

Thank-you very much for the reference to the book about female Native writers. When I was doing some research for a course a couple of years ago (for a paper on the different voices of Canada) I did not come across this resource! At the same time I spoke with a Professor who was taking the oral narratives of elders from court documents related to aboriginal land claims to help document First Nations history and stories. I have always thought that this would be an interesting new source rich for research!

I find it interesting that you found the values that you learned in school very different from the values that you learned from the stories with your family on the weekend. I am curious as to how you see the values taught in a Richmond school contrast with your family values? Can you elaborate on this? Do you think it is a case of Eastern cultural values compared to Western cultural values? I took a course on cultural psychology in third year that discussed some general differences, but I am curious as to your specific experience. I grew up in Richmond and went to Richmond High – but definitely before you did, so my experience was likely different.

Thanks, Andrea

1. Hello Bea,

I should take a minute to properly introduce myself. I am a fourth year English major, completing English 470 as the last course requirement for graduation. I have a business degree that I completed at UBC quite a while ago. While doing my first degree I took a number of English courses as a minor to satisfy my love of literature. I can recall being the only person in business taking a poetry class one term. The professor looked at the class list and asked me what faculty I was in (it was a numerical code that he had not seen much!). My ability to write and communicate meaning effectively has served me well in my business career.

About three years ago I was going to a book club evening. I was dissatisfied with the level of discussion. Many people had not read the book and others had a very superficial interpretation of it (and loved to talk). I decided that I would really enjoy expanding my reading and knowledge beyond what I discovered on book lists and the ability to discuss analysis with similarly engaged people and an expert in the field (Dr. Paterson in this case!). Once I was accepted into the B.A. program (I can complete the degree with only two additional years coursework since I have a degree at UBC already), I have found a variety of amazing courses. I have taken senior level English courses, a variety of fascinating psychology courses (the field has really evolved since I took Psychology 100), Natural Disasters (my only Earth Sciences course) and a history course. I have particularly enjoyed when I have been able to attend classes as the live, verbal interaction is great. I have travelled a lot for work the last year, so I have had to complete my remaining courses with distance education. I am glad that we have the addition of blogging in this course, as the hyperlink can assist with interactivity.

Good luck in the course!

Andrea

2. Hi Andrea,
      Thanks for your patience! For some odd reason, notifications from this blog were directed to my junk mail, sorry about the long wait.
      In regards to your question about school versus family values, I’m really glad you brought up the question of Eastern versus Western cultural values. One of the main tensions I experienced was between individualism and collectivism. At school, I was always prompted to contribute my own opinion and “speak up for myself,” while at home, it was acceptable to conform to the opinions of my elders and my culture. During parent-teacher meetings, my grade school teachers would always note that I wouldn’t speak unless invited to join the conversation–which seemed to demonstrate a lack of initiative or personality, but was what my family understood as politeness and self-restraint. I’m not speaking for all Chinese, but I think it’s often easy to interpret Asian reticence as lack of knowledge or interest, or not being social at work/school as socially awkward. (I am SO loud with my family!) Anyway, I hope this answers your question at least in part! I’d be interested to know whether this matches with what you’ve learned in your psych course–or with your personal experience as a fellow Richmondite!
      Cheers,
      Bea 🙂

PS. A very helpful summary of Eastern vs Western cultural values can be found here: http://ism.intervarsity.org/resource/east-vs-west-cultural-comparison

1. Hi Bea,

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, individualism versus collectivism was explored extensively in our psych class as one of the fundamental differences as to how some from the East engage differently than those from the West. As you say, sometimes educators, employers and friends can view the resulting behaviors as less favorable – which must be quite frustrating. The course also covered off the fact that the strong sense of family and community can make Eastern children relatively happier, and less rebellious, as there is less societal pressure to “set out on your own”, make your own choices, and succeed solely on your own efforts. There were even some good statistics on why arranged marriages (probably not common in your community) are actually a good idea! Instead of relying on the bar scene or social media why not plan your future with someone that people who know you really well and are going to be a big part of the larger future family choose?

Thanks for the link!

Andrea

2. Sounds like an interesting perspective. I agree that the diversity of writers on our list is a “breath of fresh air” from the drudgery of regular literature courses. Hope to hear more of your opinions on the reading in this class and perhaps how your own experience relates. You seem like a lively addition to the conversation.

1. Hi “Shrimp”!
      Thank you for your comment! Let’s see… I’m most excited about reading more of Thomas King! I’ve come across various excerpts of the Truth of About Stories in previous classes, and I look forward to reading this novel in full, as well as Green Grass Running Water. I’m also aware that he’s basically the only Native writer besides Helen Hoy and Lee Maracle that I can quote right off the bat, so I’m glad I’ll be able to familiarize myself with other voices in the Canadian lit discourse.
      Looking forward to conversing with you further!
      Bea