Just another UBC Blogs site

Hello world!

Hello World,

Welcome to my blog. My name is Laura and I am a fourth year English student at UBCO. I feel passionate about bike riding, crocheting, my dog and vegetarian chicken strips. I hope to see this blog develop itself into a record of my own learning and realization.

This course, Canadian Literary Studies, will be my first specifically Canadian study of literature. I look forward to exploring the intersections of Indigenous and European traditions of writing and story telling. I am willing to admit that even now, I’m not sure how to define Canadian literature. I found an older article from The Globe and Mail that debates the various definitions of what makes literature uniquely ‘Canadian’, whether it is the birthplace of the author or the “attitudes and sensibilities” of the narrative. The author of this article even jokingly references Pierre Berton who famously said, “A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe”. If we apply this standard, is a book ‘Canadian’ because it is suitable for reading while making love in a canoe? Or being written, while in a canoe, about making love?

To find out what makes our first assigned reading, “If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories?” by J. Edward Chamberlin uniquely Canadian, I looked him up. Evidently, Chamberlin is a professor at the University of Toronto and his work specifically focuses on Indigenous people in Canada, America, South Africa and Australia. Overall he has contributed greatly to scholarship on Indigenous issues and his work educates his readers towards a more tolerant and informed Canada. Chamberlin gets my Canadian stamp-of-approval.

On a more serious and canoe-less note, I can already tell that this subject matter will result in one of those “The more I know, the less I know” kind of situations, and I welcome the radical uncertainty and disassociation that will come from re-learning the history of my country through story. What I know already is that I am unprepared for the truth behind Canadian lit.

Wilson, Billy. "Patriotism!" 7 Apr 2009. Online image. Flickr. 11 May 2016.
Wilson, Billy. “Patriotism!” 7 Apr 2009. Online image. Flickr. 11 May 2016.

Thanks for your time!

Laura

“J. Edward Chamberlin”. Penguin Random House Canada. n.d. Web. 11 May 2016.

Smith, Russel. “Why do we struggle with what makes Canadian literature?” The Globe and             Mail. 21 Nov 2013. Web. 11 May 2016.

»