Nationalism | Assignment 3:2

“Fictive ethnicity” describes, “how nations of diverse peoples are represented, both in the past and future, as if they are a “natural community” (Paterson, Lesson 3:1)

The Indian Act is the Canadian federal law that defines and administers Indian status, deals with First Nations governments/bands, and orders the management of reserve lands. The act was first passed in 1867 and served as a “consolidation of previous colonial ordinances that aimed to eradicate First Nations culture in favour of assimilation into Euro-Canadian society” (Henderson). This paternalistic-like Act grants the Canadian government authority to regulate and administer in the affairs and day-to-day lives of registered Indians and reserve communities. This Act not only represents the political control that the government hand over the First Nations of Canada, but it also represents the common idea that the ‘Indian’ is in need of civilizing, and that they should be grateful for this gift that the ‘white-man’ is bestowing. Even John A. MacDonald proclaimed in 1887, that “the great aim of our legislation has been to do away with the tribal system and assimilate the Indian people in all respects with the other inhabitants of the Dominion as speedily as they are fit to change” (Hanson). The ultimate aim was elimination of ‘Indian-ness’ and a complete assimilation into the western European societal norms.

A particular policy that I found quite interesting within the Indian Act is the “Potlatch Law.” In 1884, under the Indian Act, the Canadian federal government banned potlatches and other ceremonies; Coastal First Nations and the those of the west believed that potlatch ceremonies were one of the most important ritual for their bands. These ceremonies marked important occasions as well as served a crucial role in distribution of wealth. Colonial leaders felt that these rituals impeded the full assimilation, and they wanted the First Nations peoples to practice private property ownership, rather than economic redistribution. This Potlatch Law “prevented the passing down of our oral history. It prevented the passing down of our values. [And] it meant an interruption of the respected forms of government that we used to have” (Hanson). The impact of this law to the First Nations communities was so damaging to their culture and the affects of this can still be seen today.

Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility notes that “beginning with the colonials and early nation-builders, there has been a “literary endeavor” to “formulate and elaborate a specific form of [Canadian] whiteness based on the British model of civility” (Paterson, Lesson 3:1). It can be said that the idea of nationality in Canada is defined by ‘fictive ethnicity,’ where Canada is representative of the ‘white-washing’ of our culture. Our nation is, and has been, made up of numerous cultural identities, but it is perhaps our state systems and legislations that have historically excluded some cultures in an attempt for white assimilation. I think whats important to note with his argument is that regardless of our current day attempts to become more inclusive in our Canadian nationality as very multicultural, our country still represents the historical assimilation and extermination of cultures through legislation. I found this short reading interesting on the meaning of multiculturalism in Canada, and the relationship with the First Nations and the government.

Works Cited:

“Canadian Multiculturalism: An Inclusive Citizenship.” Government of Canada, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Communications Branch. Government of Canada, 19 Oct. 2012. Web. 29 Oct. 2016.

Hanson, Erin. “The Indian Act.” Indigenous.foundations.arts.ubc.ca. University of British Columbia, n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.

Henderson, William B. “Indian Act.” The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada, n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.

“Indian Act (R.S.C., 1985, C. I-5).” Legislative Services Branch. Government of Canada, 20 Oct. 2016. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.

Sebastian, Troy. “IMMIGRANTS IN OUR OWN LAND.” Voices. VICTORIA IMMIGRANT & REFUGEE CENTRE SOCIETY, 1998. Web. 29 Oct. 2016.

5 thoughts on “Nationalism | Assignment 3:2

1. BryonyRoseHeathwood

Hi Hannah,
    I was wondering if you would like to work with me for the group project? I have only just started asking so no one has said yes yet, so right now its just me!

Thanks

1. Hannah Westerman Post author

Sorry BryonyRose! I had not looked on my blog for a few days as I was really busy with other classes! I saw that on Facebook you did eventually find a group – thank you for thinking of me as a potential member, though I was already in a group when you had asked.

2. ChloeLee

Hi Hannah,

Great post and I love your insights about our country lacking more inclusive legislation.

Canada is portrayed as one of the most multicultural, peaceful, and inclusive countries in the media, which is a little sad because most of us know so little about the country’s ugly history of cultural assimilation. It seems like a lot of people care about the clean air here more than the people who founded the country long ago.

What do you think could be done about this issue of the legislations excluding First Nations or other cultures in general? The only way I could think of is for people to spread change within the government. Unfortunately, it seems like advocates outside the government are making slow progress.

Let me know what you think,

Chloe Lee 🙂

1. Hannah Westerman Post author

Hey Chloe,

Thanks for the comment!
      I’m not sure. I feel like changing legislation is quite different from changing societies way of thinking. There is still a huge racial, cultural, and economic divide. I think that because of how Canada’s legislation began, it is hard to reverse the pain it has caused upon the First Nations communities. Oftentimes new legislation acts to cover up or make it seem as if the atrocities didn’t happen. I think this is where the problem is. Perhaps with more education on the issue, future generations will not grow up thinking of the First Nations with their stereotypes. I think first we need to change public perception, and legislation will follow suit.

3. MichaelPendreigh

Hi Hannah,

The irony of Canadians using the term “potlach” in classrooms, offices, and parties is incredible for me now. Appropriate it to fit Western conceptions of “multiculturalism” while dismantling the culture of First Nations. Truly wonderful tribalism. Thank-you so much for bringing the “Potlach Law” to my attention. How do you feel about having potlachs now?