Guatemala, Part One: Mandy, Dexter and a pair of shoes named Tom

When you listen to enough This American Life, everything around you becomes profound. Scotty D knows what I’m like after I’ve listened to a few hours of it. When I was traveling from Seattle to Houston, and Houston down to Guatemala, I began experiencing an episode, or a trip through one, of This American Life. I hard the stories of travelers who have all be brought to the very same spot for one brief period in time.

Seattle midnight flight to Houston, Texas. Meet Mandy, seat 20B sitting between myself in the window seat and a boy who’s name is Dexter. We only learned his name from the name tag on his sharp service uniform. He never said a peep the entire flight.

Mandy is around my age, a high school graduate, not working or in school, but knows she’s interested in cosmetology. She was on her way to Florida for her grandfather’s funeral. He was 98. It was a somber conversation, with little hick ups of laughter and conversation about what UBC is like as a school.

Mandy’s parents sat across the aisle from us. They leaned over every once in a while to see who I was and what a girl in a burgundy cardigan would talk about with their daughter. What did they think I was up to? We began chatting because she noticed my TOMS Shoes when I almost fell over her and Dexter when I was making my way to my window seat. It’s a classic part of my character to fall over everyone I can on a plane, to hit people with my backpack, to say sorry 78 times for hitting people with my backpack, and to fall up any staircase I find.

Mandy saw the TOMS logo on the back of my shoes as I made a head dive for the window. She wondered if they are comfy and worth the buy. She’s looked at TOMS before, shown particular interest in the black sparkly pair, but has never made the move to buy them. I wonder what would of happened if I didn’t wear my TOMS. Would we of started talking? Would we of went to sleep and been like Dexter, not saying a peep the entire flight?

Mandy seems like the kind of girl who is still coming out of her shell. She knows she likes TOMS shoes, but has never had the guts to buy a pair. She knows she wants to get into cosmetology but hasn’t applied to any schools yet. Yet, I still think she knows who she is deep down on the inside, which is the ultimate cheesy thing I can say in this blog post. Rock on.

We land in Houston. I had fallen asleep to CBC Radio 3, which features Canadian artists for en entire hour of podcast-goodness. Maybe it made Mandy’s accent stand out more, or maybe to her it made me seem more exotic to someone who had only been to Edmonton’s airport.

It’s six in the morning. My face felt like it needed to be washed, I had hardly slept in the last few days and I knew I need some breakfast. I headed in the direction that looked more promising for food inside Bush Intercontinental Airport. I never bothered to put on my glasses during this struggle to read signs in the airport, I was giving in to the lack of sleep. This meant for difficulties in reading displayed menus. Smart choice, Erica.

Part Two of my trip to Guatemala will be posted over the next week.