Books That Grow

Originally posted by MET student Kat on 20/01/2018

After searching through Kickstarter, I found an interesting venture that seemed to be an elevator pitch that promotes the venture called “Books that Grow”

2 responses to “Books That Grow”

1. Lyon Tsang

I’d invest in this — assuming, of course, that some features will be modernized. The Kickstarter page hasn’t been updated since August 2014!

The pitch introduced the platform as a way to monitor student reading progress, but I feel like the real value is in how reading difficulty can be adjusted and configured in real-time. This gives students at any level a better opportunity to digest material.

The built-in quizzes seem like a fun way to test knowledge — maybe student performance can automatically inform their assigned reading levels as well.

This could be a good supplementary resource for students in K-12, or it could be built into a LMS as well.

The good news is that it leverages ebooks:

1 – newer generations are more and more accustomed to reading on a screen
    2 – can work on different devices anywhere
    3 – easier to annotate / take notes

I’d just like to know more about the process of how books are chosen, and how they’re tweaked and re-worked to accomodate different levels of difficulty.

2. Trista Ding

Yes, I would invest in this venture. As a teacher who focuses on reading, it is fascinating to see a technological tool that adjusts the language in the book to meet students’ learning needs. The pitch effectively highlights its pain point and solution, showcasing its feature of differentiation. Too often I have to find many books at different levels around the same topic to accommodate my students’ reading skills so they can participate in a research project or reading theatres. The progress monitoring feature not only allows teachers to gain a better understanding of their student’s learning but also provides students with the autonomy to gain control over their own learning. This tool pinpoints a specific gap in our current reading instructions and I see the potential of it.

The first thing I would like to find out more about is similar to Lyon, the selection process of the books and how the books are adjusted for different reading levels. I would also like to know if the quiz was built-in or if teachers can design their own quizzes. Plus, I would like to know what buyers are they targeting and how they plan to reach their buyers.