Hello from the Other Side

Hi everyone, my name is Yannick. ETEC 522 is my 4th MET course. I hail from Markham, Ontario (the other side of the country from UBC).

I am a teacher by training, having obtained a BEd from Queen’s University. I used to teach high school history and geography but was always interested in technology, and longed to be an advocate and be at the forefront of everything. Though I am still an Ontario Certified Teacher, I am currently the lead instructional designer at a private college that’s focused on online learning. Being a small institution, we’re entrepreneurs at heart and we’re always seeking new programs to develop, new techniques to use, and new technologies to explore. This is part of the reason why I decided to take this course, so I’m excited to see what knowledge and experiences I would be able to glean from this course to help with developing my career in this field.

Personally, I love playing sports, experiencing the outdoors, gaming, and reading. Fun fact: I used to be the team captain of the fencing team during my undergrad. I also used to train service dogs, which was an interesting experience in another kind of education. (Puppy tax: below is my (former) puppy-in-training, Leo).

5 responses to “Hello from the Other Side”

1. Erica Hargreave

Leo is very cute. It must have been tough to say goodbye.

Very cool on the fencing. That’s a sport I’ve always meant to properly try – beyond the one afternoon’s experience that I’ve had. I imagine it is good exercise.

Erica

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Yannick,

Sounds like you have a very interesting job and one that’s quite relevant to this course. I look forward to learning with you and hearing your perspective.

3. EmilyChen

Hi Yannick,
    Nice meeting you! This is my 3rd/4th course in the program as well.
    I’m interested in your online learning design, good luck with everything it sounds like it will be an exciting school year for you. I look forward to learning with you!

Emily

4. Grant MacLeod

Hi Yannick,

Your job sounds very interesting and sounds like you’ve had some cool previous experiences. Just curious, as an instructional designer, do you mostly work with faculty to develop courses for their classes? Is it mostly e-learning that you develop? Have you noticed a big push for online learning since the pandemic started?

Looking forward to working with you!

Cheers,

Grant

5. tara davis

Hi Yannick,
    It is so great to be surrounded by people who want to create change and make a contribution. That is the best work environment to find yourself in, so I’m happy for you.

Thanks for sharing the photo of Leo. I’ve always wanted to train a dog for search and rescue here in Squamish, but I think I’ll have to do it when I have more free time! It is so great how you fit so much in during undergrad.