Me and My duct tape wallet

These introductions certainly don’t get any easier! It is nice though, to see many familiar faces here. The ever so quick bio is as follows; I moved to Korea to teach English for a few years. Upon return I threw myself into teaching only to somehow end up in supply chain and operations for a clothing company. I was afforded a lot of opportunities, mainly developing new systems and tools and lot’s of travel. Ten years of that and I realized I wasn’t teaching, so I worked my way back into the public education system and that’s where I am now, in the K-12 system here in my hometown, Toronto.

Why do we choose the MET? This is perhaps the most interesting question to ask most of my cohort as I often think the answers are similar, but always with unique twists. I chose the MET because upon reflection of my career and personal interests; I realized that working with technology has always been something of interest, something I came by naturally, and something I think a lot about. Now in the midst of a pandemic (is it ending?!) we are in a position to really analyze the current systems in place, across all sectors, and how technology can provide a positive influence. This is where a lot of my thoughts have gone these days.

I am here, in 522, to gain a more critical eye in the inevitable increase in ventures that are spun to educators and public education systems following the pandemic. As I increase interactions with my cohort in the MET I am gaining stronger critical thinking skills, and a better ability to analyze efficacy of tools. An entrepreneur? Hardly. Though once I started a business making duct tape wallets. Upon review of the P&L, I closed up shop (read: when my father realized all his duct tape was gone and I hadn’t made enough money from the sales to pay for another roll he refused to continue the supply of materials).

6 responses to “Me and My duct tape wallet”

1. Hayley Mooney

You would think most of us would have a really polished generic bio by now, wouldn’t you? But then again, it is interesting to learn something new when we encounter familiar faces! Actually, I was thinking the other day that I needed a new wallet…

I sometimes wonder if I was late in the game to start studying learning technology- wouldn’t it have been nice to have MET under your belt before 2020? But I like your perspective, that this better prepares us to analyze what has been employed and improve upon it.

2. cindy keung

This was hilarious to read. What grades/subjects do you teach in Toronto? I’m curious to know if the school districts have developed excellent online learning courses/blended learning opportunities? It is a bit of a mess here in Vancouver.

1. Kyle

Hi Cindy
      I teach grade 7/8 (all subjects), although this year I am teaching an additional 3 classes in art and media. It’s been a great deal of fun introducing students to the various components of practical learning I’ve picked up from my course work in the MET!
      As for whether or not my board has picked up excellent learning strategies; short answer is no. We are all learning to navigate, and with that comes the policies that are in place that existed pre-pandemic or were create hastily. I would call it messy as well. Part of the problem is the back and forth of online to in-person learning we are currently going through.

3. Nathan Bishop

It is great to meet you, Kyle! I am also from Toronto, although I now live about 200 km west. My family and many friends still live there, so I visit often. I enjoyed your duct tape wallet business idea. If you could found a way to gain your supply materials at zero cost, you would have made it! Looking forward to working alongside you!

4. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

Kyle, thank you for the candid introduction. How many wallets does one duct tape roll make?!

1. Kyle

Ally. Better question is how many rolls of duct tape is required to make one wallet! (hence the quick drain on supply!). It was a lot of fun though.